Hi,

I am looking at buying a new display.

Any strong recommendations for a particular model, in the region of £180 - £250 in the UK?

Also, 5:4 or 16:10?

Rig is :-
    ASUS A8N32SLi
    AMD 64 x 2 3800+
    2 x XFX7800GT SLi
    2 Meg 2-2-2-5 RAM
    700w Storm PSU
    Win XP

Must resolve my inability to see the distant dots!

Thanks

Hi,

I am looking at buying a new display.

Any strong recommendations for a particular model, in the region of £180 - £250 in the UK?

Also, 5:4 or 16:10?

Rig is :-
    ASUS A8N32SLi
    AMD 64 x 2 3800+
    2 x XFX7800GT SLi
    2 Meg 2-2-2-5 RAM
    700w Storm PSU
    Win XP

Must resolve my inability to see the distant dots!

Thanks

You want 16:9 or 16:10 (the alternative is 4:3 and not 5:4 btw. ) also, make sure you look for something 22" or larger. You should be able to find something decent in your price-range.

Go to newegg or do a google search. The results are too vast to list here, but I'd recommend either a Dell (don't laugh, they make really good monitors) or Samsung. The contestants from Acer and Viewsonic aren't rated quite as highly, but niether are they priced as high.

TB

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    For £250 you can get the latest Asus 22" which by all reports is pretty good. I think you can also pick up a good Ilyama for that.

Check out www.widescreengamingforum.com for full reviews for almost any widescreen TFT/LCD. There no sponsored by anyone so they don't hold back on their reviews. Well worth looking at before you decide anything.

Samsung 226BW is a great choice, I just switched, and its a huge improvement.

horseback's Avatar Senior Member
    I have a very nice ViewSonic 22", but if I run it at max settings, I find that the dots, if anything, are harder to see. Dot size is a function of pixel size, and at max ranges, the dots are supposedly only three pixels.

Generally, you'll find that the dots are easier to see at around 1280x763 than at 1680x1050.

cheers

horseback

Hoenire's Avatar Banned
    Samsung 226BW and don't believe the stuff about A and S panels I have an A panel and its sweeet.

thanks guys

Hoenire, what's all <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the stuff about A and S panels </div></BLOCKQUOTE> ? Not heard of it.

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    S-PVA allows a wider view and the picture is generally better. I've got a TN panel and an SPVA panel sitting next to each other. The SPVA is noticably superior in almost every way.