Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out.

Recently, I bought myself a new joystick. After much deliberation, I decided on the Saitek AV8R. However, when I play Pacific Fighters, the planes all constantly pull up and to the right. It's quite slightly at first, but if you leave your joystick centred, it gradually gets worse.

What's stranger is that in both the Pacific Fighters calibration utility, and the windows control panel, it shows that my joystick is perfectly centred. Yet in the game, the planes pull up and to the right.

I tested it with a few other sims as well, and although Flight Simulator X demo displays the same problem (planes pulling up constantly), X3 : The Threat does not.

Has anyone got any tips on how I can fix this problem? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

EDIT: I've just tried it with Forgotten Battles, and the same problem occurs, only this time, the plane pulls up and to the left. I have no idea what's causing this, or how to solve it. Please help!

EDIT 2 : OK, I've just done a complete re-install of Pacific Fighters, so it's just running v.3.00, but the problem's still there. What's worse - even with no joystick plugged into my machine, the problem still happens. This suggests that it's a problem with Pacific Fighters - has anyone else experienced this?

It's normal. Use trim, or if trim is unavailable, compensate manually.

Read this to find out why.

http://zzyx.ucsc.edu/rcbees/aerodyna...%20Takeoff.pdf

You can disable torque and gyro effects in the difficulty options.

Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
    It's normal. Use trim, or if trim is unavailable, compensate manually.

Read this to find out why.

http://zzyx.ucsc.edu/rcbees/aerodyna...%20Takeoff.pdf

You can disable torque and gyro effects in the difficulty options.
    I have done - but the problem is still there, at all points during a flight - mid mission, take-off and land. Is this really a "feature" of the game? If it is, it makes it quite awkward for novices such as myself...

What's trim, and how do I use it please?

joeap's Avatar Senior Member
    Please learn to fly like the rest of us.

Originally posted by joeap:
    Please learn to fly like the rest of us.
    OK. Funny. If you have nothing sensible to say, don't say it at all, go and bother someone else. I posted because I'm having a PROBLEM with the game, it's nothing to do with me not being "able to fly" (and does flying in a sim really qualify you to be "able to fly"?).

Back on-topic : I can't honestly believe that, to the extent that this happens, that it is an accurate representation of flying. When I had my old joystick, this problem was not present, my plane would fly straight and level. But now, it flies up and to the right, constantly, no matter what plane I'm in, or whether I'm taking off, landing, or mid-flight. Any suggestions?

msalama's Avatar Senior Member
    When I had my old joystick, this problem was not present, my plane would fly straight and level.
    Re-check your controllers m8 No but really - when you take away the improbable, etc., etc.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hippies FTW!

Fly the YP-80. If the plane still pulls to the side, there is a problem.

Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
    Fly the YP-80. If the plane still pulls to the side, there is a problem.
    Good idea. I'll try that now.

EDIT : Can't find it in my plane list. Which patch was this installed with? (I don't have a merged installation). I presume you suggest this because it's a single engine jet? Are there any others I might have? I'm sure there are some single-engine jets in Forgotten Battles (which I do have installed), that I could try?

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    The YP80 is from the Aces expansion pack.

Alternativly try the Me262 or P38. remember to try it on the Crimea QMB map as it has no wind.

It sounds like you need to trim your plane though. Remember that trim for one speed is different to another. Full power take off in a big engined single seater or a powerful twin like the Mossie or Beaufighter will need more trim than the same plane in level flight using cruising power. Rudder trim will usually sort out the swing to the right/left and elevator will sort out the pulling up.

Try practicing in the P51DNT. All the instruments are clearly visible and nicely laid out with the ball for the rudder trim right in front of you.

Good luck!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Cheers!!

Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
    The YP80 is from the Aces expansion pack.

Alternativly try the Me262 or P38. remember to try it on the Crimea QMB map as it has no wind.

It sounds like you need to trim your plane though. Remember that trim for one speed is different to another. Full power take off in a big engined single seater or a powerful twin like the Mossie or Beaufighter will need more trim than the same plane in level flight using cruising power. Rudder trim will usually sort out the swing to the right/left and elevator will sort out the pulling up.

Try practicing in the P51DNT. All the instruments are clearly visible and nicely laid out with the ball for the rudder trim right in front of you.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your advice. I will test the jets out now. As for the trim - I really have no idea how to do this - I don't recall ever having to have done it before with my old joystick either. Is there an option to turn it off, or is this just something I'm gonna have to get used to?

EDIT: Just tested it. ME 262 works a lot better, but still pulls up, requiring me to hold my joystick forwards slightly to keep the nose level. It doesn't appear to tilt to either side however, so that's an improvement. I'm still not sure where the problem lies though - is it because of trim, or my joystick? Oh, and I should mention - it doesn't slide to the right, the plane leans to the right and pulls up, as if in a turn, on Pacific Fighters.