for those who just watched the episode of dogfights in the history channel......

what an incredible move that candelaria guy did on that 109 pilot and pumped some bullets while he was at it...... WOW

PenGs's Avatar Junior Member
    The one where he cut off his power and hit the rudder hard? That was awesome and I'd love to learn that in IL2.

berg417448's Avatar Senior Member
    He was losing the fight...Candelara even said "He was making a fool out of me." The 109 was out turning him and outmaneuvering him. A desperate time required a desperate move and it worked for him.

Don't bother trying to do that maneuver in-game. The Criticle AOA (Angle-of-Attack) modeled into the Pony is too narrow. You'll depart way before you'll be able to execute it. It's also the reason you can not turn inside a 109 like you're suppose to.

He was being out flown all right, but that manuever was not a piece of luck. In this episode, two pilots used it effectively.

Anyone wondering about the power of the 50's in-game now? Two Brownings with just over 100 rounds left in each side splinters a 109. There's no way you'll ever see that in-game... The API is missing - STILL.

NOTE: no wing shreding with the drastic high-speed G manuever either.

V

i wonder if in BOB well be able to tweak the FM
    with a fidelity such as that..... if only for offliners

notice how the mustang pilot only squeezed off one burst and that 109 exploded in flames."overmodelled"
    But i never knew that particular mustang had mirrors, that looked like lil ears/antennea on top of the canopy.

I've tried that maneuver with other planes without luck; I don't think IL2 can model something like that, as far as I know. I was blown away by that maneuver though. Never saw it coming.

horseback's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Swivet:
    notice how the mustang pilot only squeezed off one burst and that 109 exploded in flames."overmodelled"
    But i never knew that particular mustang had mirrors, that looked like lil ears/antennea on top of the canopy.
    From your description, it sounds like the rearview mirrors were standard Spitfire rearview mirrors, which were highly prized by the 8th & 9th Fighter Commands' pilots. The practice appears to have started with P-47s from the 4th FG, which flew Spit Vbs before transitioning to Jugs in March-April of 1943.

Apparently a few guys snagged the mirrors off their former rides and replaced the rather mundane rearview mirrors on the razorback P-47s as a sort of fashion statement. The practice reached epidemic proportions with the introduction of the bubbletop ponies, when the dual mirror installation proved to be as practical as it was snazzy.

As a bonus, the trade in excess mirrors (and the superior British spark plugs) from 'pranged' Spits kept RAF fitters with decent American tobacco and their girlfriends in nylons...

Once again, Capitalism (properly applied) benefits everyone who uses it!

cheers

horseback

stansdds's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by papotex:
    No.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by stansdds:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by papotex:
    No. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope not.. since now there is no sim whose FMs are unalterable I would like to see there be at least one on the market where you can rest assured that the integrity of the individual FMs is not in question.