Oleg, please, if there's a chance for a 4.09 patch, would you mind to fix this:

When I fly at high altitude, the sky is way too dark. It seems night sometimes. I asked to some real pilots and they tell me it's not correct.
    Thank you!

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Nevermind real pilots...last time I took a flight the 737 I was traveling in was cruising at 38,000 feet (nice little display on the headrest TV they had for all the seats) and while the sky is blue its not pitch black like that.

Its definitely improperly done but we knew that back in the 1.0 days. Not likely to change at this point...it might be something thats hardcoded and not a quick value to change. No idea why but I give the coders the benefit of the doubt. I would expect it to be fixed on Storm of War.

I've always wondered why there's a delay in the rendering of sky color when the viewpoint is changed rapidly. For example, if I'm on the deck I see a pale blue. If I switch to an external view of a high flier, the same pale blue is rendered at first, then after about two seconds it instantly switches to the appropriate darker blue.

Is this, I wonder, a clue to how the coding is implemented?

Wildnoob's Avatar Senior Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPzm0a4d-MI

this is real combat footage, part of the propaganda documentary "Combat America".

and whe can see by this part I've posted the wheater very similary to wat whe see in the sim.

* spoiler.

I think it's an old movie. The color is dark because it's old, not because it's real.

Originally posted by ojcar1971:
    I think it's an old movie. The color is dark because it's old, not because it's real.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVugL3soZRM

wat do you say about this ?

"normal wheater"

at least for me.

It's the same movie. An old movie, nothing more. I have seen P-47 straffing footage at treetop and it's the same color
    I have asked real pilots. Real sky is not as dark at these altitudes.

I agree, IL2's sky at altitude is much too dark. And showing stars so clearly visible is also unrealistic--even the brilliant planet Venus, while fairly easily seen if one knew where to look, would appear on screen as a very dim dot.

To those who would use old films as a guide for comparison, beware. There are numerous factors which can lead to false impressions in any imagery, still or moving. Imaging media and display devices have smaller dynamic ranges than the eye. Compression and expansion of brightness scales are the norm.

During photography, if the exposure time is set for objects in bright sunlight, darker parts of the scene will appear much darker than as seen by the observer.

And during transfer from one medium to another, further alterations to overall brightness and contrast are almost inevitable.

Originally posted by Lurch1962:
    To those who would use old films as a guide for comparison, beware. There are numerous factors which can lead to false impressions in any imagery, still or moving. Imaging media and display devices have smaller dynamic ranges than the eye. Compression and expansion of brightness scales are the norm.

During photography, if the exposure time is set for objects in bright sunlight, darker parts of the scene will appear much darker than as seen by the observer.

And during transfer from one medium to another, further alterations to overall brightness and contrast are almost inevitable.
    I don't think so...

see the other part :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVugL3soZRM

after the bomb run (witch was held in the morning)the time passes and they found clear wheater. at this part the pilot checks her watch and is 12 : 35 pm.

ok, I don't mean really "clear wheater" for obviosly altitude reasons.

but I ask everybody to see the final 41 seconds of this part :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF7ym...elated&search=

that's perfectly the IL2 skies for me.