First, I just got IL2; it is superb.

I have a question.
    The size rendering of aircraft viewed through my cockpit does not seem realistic. For example,my house is 12m long. When viewed from two hundred meters I require one or two fingers of my outstreched hand to cover it, and details are readily visible. In the game, planes with a wingspan about equal to my house length appear as little more than dots, with no details visible.
    Can you enlighten a novice about this?
    Thank you.

veltro6238

This has always been the case in game. If you "zoom in" to gunsight view, then perspective is much better. There was a reason it was designed like this, I can't remember but I'm sure someone more informed than me will be able to tell you.

Welcome to a new addiction, btw

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    The size of objects on screen is a function of field of view (FOV). Being forced to view the world through a tiny computer screen, you have a choice, a wider field of view, with everything looking small, or a more natural FOV with no peripheral vision. The game gives you the ability to change the FOV as needed. Fly around and maintain SA with the wide field view where planes are small dots, and zoom in to gunsight view when you need to. There is no other way with a single monitor, it'll always be a trade off.

tater

200m; fighter sized target and bomber sized targets in order max FoV then mid FoV
    I don't have a problem when I track/shoot at target, but spotting them is not that easy for me on certain maps.

Thanks for the replies. Problem solved.

veltro6238

Bad idea for LOD modelling and engine limitations.You have to get used to it.

The lack of FOV change is something that plagues a potentially great game, Red Orchestra. Thanks for this thread and wonderful explaination.

Originally posted by Hashmark13:
    The lack of FOV change is something that plagues a potentially great game, Red Orchestra. Thanks for this thread and wonderful explaination.
    Except that a FOV change is not realistic. When I put my eye next to my gun, my eyes don't "zoom". Same deal in a cockpit, all you're doing is leaning forward a few feet, it shouldn't make everything drastically larger...

A computer monitor doesn't have the near 180 degree FoV that your eyes have. Changing the FoV is the only way to give even a partially realistic field of vision in game.

WWMaxGunz's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Kaedius-VW:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hashmark13:
    Except that a FOV change is not realistic. When I put my eye next to my gun, my eyes don't "zoom". Same deal in a cockpit, all you're doing is leaning forward a few feet, it shouldn't make everything drastically larger... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sim changes FOV. Try zooming view when looking out the side.
    It is a way to deal with hardware limits your eyes don't have.
    And tell me you don't squint when sighting a rifle?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►