I have been wanting to do this for a long time and I am still a ways from it, but I have gotten closer. I have seen stuff on the net on how folks have built cockpits and they look really cool.

For my situation, I have a walk-in closet under the stairs in my den. A friend gave me a seat that came out of a pickup truck - it was a small seat that actually went between the driver and passenger seat. It is cloth covered, in perfect shape and is actually about the right size. It has metal feet on it that sit perfectly on the floor. I can either bolt it to a piece of plywood or have it directly on the carpet.

What I plan to do is have a setup built where the monitor will be at the correct level and have the keyboard below it. I will also install a shelf about 8 inches wide on each side of the seat for my CH throttle on one side and my mouse on the other. I will somehow have the joystick in the center, but how it will be mounted I don't know. The walls of this closet are about the right width to approximate the sides of a WW2 cockpit (close enough anyway). It is not a large closet by any means.

I am thinking about painting the walls before I do this... any suggestions on what color?

And then the next step is to get a second monitor. I am thinking about a flat screen but I am not sure. Probably 19" or 21".

For the time being I will still be flying at my desk, but I really want to make this happen. Unfortunately I am no craftsman, so I will have to pay a friend of mine to do the carpentry.

that's gonna be kinda strange. Sitting in a closet under the stairs all day playing games.

^ LMAO.

It sounds like a cool idea, but if the walls are right up against where your little shelves will be, how do you get in?

Esel1964's Avatar Senior Member
    Paint a simulated sky on ceiling and walls,then use indirect lighting on a dimmer switch to simulate time of day/night.

P.S. My wife informs me that Harry Potter lived under some stairs;I'm proud to say that I'm clueless on the Potter scene.

"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Originally posted by Adam906:
    or you just contact this guy...

http://www.finestart.de/D9/d9-mainframe.htm
    WOW. I'm so doing something like that.

Edit: Lol, I noticed he put the gunsight's mount-thing right below the where it is in the game.

wayno7777's Avatar Senior Member
    Don't forget a fan to simulate wind and to cool you down. I imagine it would get awful stuffy in there....

polak5's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Praetorian_Elite:
    that's gonna be kinda strange. Sitting in a closet under the stairs all day playing games.
    lol but its still kinda funny how he planned it all out.
    I duno it might be kool though.

Are you sure the wife hasn't put her foot down. And is tired of all his stuff. And having her friends coming over and seeing her Husband chasing little planes around.

She has convinced him to go hide in the closet. And some how he has managed to make it sound like fun.

I would but a lock on the door, from the inside too, if it was me.

polak5's Avatar Senior Member
    TOAD if this is true should we prepare with a coming out of the closet party?!?