I' trying to get acquainted with carrier ops through training single missions, but in the one concerning takeoff I'm not getting enough lift to avoid splashing into the virtual ocean, meanwhile when trying to land on the deck the gear won't drop (I've tried non naval missions, gear drops)

if it's a bug, are there not faulty downloadable missions?
    if not, what did I miss?

thanks

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    Are you using Take Off flaps and 120% fuel mix? Additionally, (you didn't mention it) some planes have manual gear, like the Wildcat (can I say that, legally?). Others have automatic gear, just one push of a button. You have to tap the Wildcat's gear about 20-30? times to raise or lower it and have to map manual gear in Controls.

Athosd's Avatar Senior Member
    Version 3.03 changed some elements effecting the flight model - such that the F4U and F6F have great difficulty taking off from the small carriers.
    In addition to Cajun76's recommendations you may have to taxi back to the far end of the deck to get enough of a take-off run.

Launching from a stationary carrier was always difficult, in some cases now it is practically impossible.

3.03's changes/refinements apparently make the flight models more realistic - however the current lack of a headwind (hopefully addressed soon) makes carrier ops rather difficult in many cases.

Cheers

Athos

yeah its quite difficult now. Especially the F6F and F4U, Which are Totally unrealistic since there isnt any headwind... personally, i've never seen a Corsair or Hellcat Drop below the bow after launch since the carrier was steaming at prox. 33kts . the only plane i've seen drop out of sight after takeoff is "The Beast" aka The Helldiver...

I forgot to mention that I'm flying 3.03 FBAEPF.........

Cajun76,
    I'm sorry I forgot some details: mix is 120%, flaps are set, but the aircraft is F4 and, just as Athosd pointed, it looks like that the patch gives too much realism and ... not so much speed .... !!! I did not think to taxi back...I'll try it

about the gear issue, it's too soon for me to identify all the planes, so I don't know which one is flying the default carrier landing mission, probably you are right...I'll try the manual lowering too, thanks

Yes, the F4-F Wildcat is manual gear, in all it's incarnations. Are you letting the engine rev to full power before you release chocks?

And just a note, there's nothing wrong with the Hellcat or Corsair themselves.

Look at it this way, if the carrier is doing 25kts, heading into a 35kt wind, then the a/c just sitting on the deck has an airspeed of 60kts. That's what's missing, and has nothing to do with how the Hellcat and Corsair are modeled. I personally support his decision to model the a/c more accurately, test the results, and then find a workaround with the carriers. We'll have a better experience in the long run, imho.

I'm sure Oleg has something up his sleeves, just let him get to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Athosd:
    In addition to Cajun76's recommendations you may have to taxi back to the far end of the deck to get enough of a take-off run.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I didn't get it: Taxi back to the end of the deck? How the h*ll do you do that? I can't seem to turn more than a few degrees while on a carrier, it's like the computer limits my ACs movement on carriers to keep my aligned with the runway (and yes: I DO relaese my choks first ) If there is a way to taxi all the way back I would very much like to know it

Hold rudder left or right, hold brakes, and apply power slowly. Most US a/c will turn pretty good at 25-35% throttle, and you may have to back off a bit once it starts turning. The prop blast on the rudder does the trick. Pay attention to your turning circle, or you'll drop the tail or a main landing gear leg off the side.

Just tried it and I still can't seem to turn more than 90 degrees, then any further turn seems to be blocked and if I release the rudder the plane flops right back in take off position!
    Am I the only one with this problem?

I`m another newbie but I cannot unlock the Wheel Brake to even try a takeoff. Checked that "B" is the correct key tired gentle push. hard push rapid puishes, swear words and threats but my kite jst sits on the deck with its engine screaming.
    I`d be grateful for your advice, Guys

Thanks

George