jugent's Avatar Senior Member
    I havnt flown the spit for some time, but some days ago I tested it again.
    What a bird!!!!
    I zoom-climbed with two 109:s on my back and with 40km/h IAS on 1.5k I could use the ailerons!!!
    The 109:s dropped back, stalled out much earlier.

I regarded it fragile in the former patch, but this has changed for the better in the latest patch.
    It can take some damage and the engine can run for a long time smoking. A few hits wont effect the characteristics to much.

Very accurate guns, dont bleed E, curv well, climb magnificant, exelent view.

Its easy to get overconfident in it, and try to down LW on your own.
    I agree in what Heinz Knoke wrote
    "To shoot down a spitfire was considered as a feat"

I well coordinated spit-team could take on everything.
    Its an airdominance-fighter, not like the FW sneaking around, diving down shoot and run.
    This wont create air-superiority.

The success of the FW on war-clouds is as far as my limited experience tells me, because most of the time red are outnumbered by blue, and a great furball at low alt is the right environment for the FW-190, on its own its limited by thats its good on only two things, speed and firepower.

Its amazing that its outcurved by the P-38 a hevy twin-engined fighter.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    The success of the FW on war-clouds is as far as my limited experience tells me, because most of the time red are outnumbered by blue, and a great furball at low alt is the right environment for the FW-190, on its own its limited by thats its good on only two things, speed and firepower.
    The succes of the FW190 on WarClouds has little to do with the Spitfire specifically but I will point out that while everyone is flying about in a 1943 Spitfire VIII or IX the FW190 guys are flying about in late 1944 and 1945 FW190's.

Plus the speed and firepower thing is a definate advantage in the fight if used corrrectly. There are benefits and downsides to both the FW190 and Spitfire ethos but when it comes into a closed cockpit server the FW190 gains a fair advantage by being able to bounce.

The better kill/loss ratio of the FW-190 is due 100% to the pilots tactics. The FW-190 cant dogfight, so they dont. They dive in from alt, get there kill, and return to alt. Never enguaging the enemy for an extended time. Once they had there fill, they go home and claim there points. All other aircraft seem to mid it up a lot more.

Oh shut up...

If you have a gripe about something, just go out and say it instead of pussyfooting your way through it.

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    Wanna know the success on WC with the FW? Is cause theres a core of people who fly it on WC TS and fly wing together, engage together and cover each other. Individually there all great virtual pilots but they coordinate there attacks and 99% of the kills are drag and bag. Red guys chasing FW's suckered in and shot down by another FW pilot on comms coordinating there attacks and defence.

Theres only 2 Spit drivers on WC that do the same on red. Thats Blu and Blackbird, both extremely dangerous in Spitfires.

I dont' mind being dragged and bagged on Wc,, as long as I take one with with me.

Seems to p1ss the Fw190 jocks off alot more than it does me

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't find the Spit IX to be so blazing or amazing. It's pretty darn slow for a late war fighter. Everything else is good but it's just soooo darn slow!!!!

BfHeFwMe's Avatar Banned
    Agree, it's fun having a solid and healthy enemy to romp around with. I find it no problem to handle two 109's solo in most Spit's, it's a challenge but easily can be done. 190's are a bit different, if they're paired and in sync you've got major problems solo. While your attempting to bag one the others firepower and speed must be respected.

Very hard to bring 190's down this patch, which is cool, hispanio's can still do it. The .50's are another story, takes a full load to down one, simply don't have that much time to throw away in combat on one aircraft. Your going down if you do. I've pretty much quit flying .50's only birds, suspect ya'll blues will see more and more Spits. People are still learning them, great handlers at slow speed, eats any 109 easy in a turn fight. They can't run very good either.

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't find the Spit IX to be so blazing or amazing. It's pretty darn slow for a late war fighter. Everything else is good but it's just soooo darn slow!!!!
    Sure, if you think 1943 was late war. True, the IX with 25lbs is only worth another 30mph up in the thin air, and the never present XIV isn't a speed demon down in the weeds but Spits rule way up high and 190s can't bounce from altitude at altitude. The Spits on Warclouds or any other fully switched server aren't flown by point *****s operating as teams with worked out tactics and coms, pedals, throttle quadrants and track IR, and the Reds aren't responding to the Blue's tactics as would happen in real life either, it's like Ground Hog Day in there.

The last time I went in WC I got dragged and bagged by a pair of 190s! I laughed my head off. Dozey twit that I am.

jugent's Avatar Senior Member
    I dont think that blue side is more frequent on teamspeak or that they are more coordinated.

I think that the red flyers are recruited from the same population as thoose who fly blue.

The spit is a little slower than than FW but the FW accelarate slow at high speed. The spit will come out of a dive turn or climb with higher initial speed because it dont drag so much, and that will compensate the lower top-speed.

If you are foolish enough to stay on a fleeing FW so long time that his wingman can glue himself to your six, you must revalutate your tactic.

Thoose who complain about the spit should fly 109 or 190.

The spit beats the 190 and 109 in at least four out of five valued characteristics for a fighter,

Spit vs 109, damage, climb, firepower, turnability.

Spit vs 190 climb, view, turnability, stability.

There is always a way to get out of trouble in a spit, at all altitudes.

In a 109 or 190 there is always an excuse to why you got shoot down.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►