okay, i've seen some WWII german planes being restored like a 109 a while ago but when they restored it the painted the current german flag on it's tail and not the well know swastika.

I know the swastika is a forbidden sign but these are WWII planes. To restore them you need the swastika otherwise it woudn't be the same woudnt it? i mean it looks so.........unhistorical(cause most of them are restored for historic reasons)

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    its illegal in germany i think.
    tbh i wouldnt want it on anything of mine, much less something id spent ages making and would show off.
    to me its no biggy

Then don`t fly for the Reich...

(think about it...)

Because, from the point of view of the FRG, it's the flag of a rival and illegitimate government

Similar issues also used to surround the flag of the GDR, until the two governments recognized each other in the early 1970s

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyPiggies:
    Because, from the point of view of the FRG, it's the flag of a rival and illegitimate government

Similar issues also used to surround the flag of the GDR, until the two governments recognized each other in the early 1970s <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So there is still an illegitimate Nazi government in Germany? Interesting, I thought all that had been done away with...

yeah but think of it, if your making something histrocial, make it historcial acurate otherwise you just ****ing up with the aura around the plane

Hoatee's Avatar Senior Member
    Touchy issue...

Try this perspective : on a forum somewhere somebody showed a map of the North African theatre of Ops and the British side had many Commonwealth forces - among them South African forces.

It's customary to represent a military unit's nationality with the flag of the country which they serve. Now what flag should have been used to represent them? The old flag (orange, white, and blue)? Or the new one (and that looks rather similar to the Palestinian flag)?

It is a simply thing. Law does not allow to display the swastika. Point. It is really that simple.
    The Wehrmacht-insignia, which are not forbitten, are displayed.

dannyworkman's Avatar Banned
    Kinda like the confederate battle flag,some hate groups using it so its almost outlawed.You wont see any pix of it at any nascar races anymore it is there but they aint taking any pix of it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dannyworkman:
    Kinda like the confederate battle flag,some hate groups using it so its almost outlawed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not really comparable to the cross-bar flag. Like Praetor Honoris pointed out, the swastika is not nearly illegal, it's illegal. Luckily for you Americans, your civil war fought long ago, and you have a strong re-enactment movement that helps keeping the cross-bar flag in its historical context, despite hate-groups abusing it. Germany on the other hand, had her problems within living memory. The war is still a very touchy subject to many Germans. Maybe the swastika will be allowed again sometime in the future. Only time can tell.

In Norway, we had a similar debate on the sun-cross (cross in a circle) that was used by the pro-Nazi government during the occupation. In the end no ban was put forth, neither on the sun-cross nor on the swastika. Now, some Viking re-enactment uses the sun-cross (it has archaeological precedence), and some are thinking of using the swastika too, although in a small way, and in other variants (curved rather than angular arms, mirrored, other colours etc).

I personally hope the Germans one day can put the war and it's horrors behind them, and that the swastika again becomes just another historical symbol to be remembered, but no longer feared.

€¦ and yeah, the 109 doesn€t look quite right without it.