There's no way anyone could seriously gripe about this incredible sim...

but

being an old salt, I recall that every time a motor vessel came up over the horizon at sea it was preceded by its smoke, often by quite a while. It's a bit puzzling in IL2 that you always see the chimneys before the smoke. Can this be changed (a conf parameter maybe?) and/or will it be changed in BoB?

Also, I'm using SLI graphics on a fast Alienware machine w/2GB RAM, XPPro and I still get game stutters when other flights spawn. Do I have to go to RAID 0 to cure this?

There's no way anyone could seriously gripe about this incredible sim...

but

being an old salt, I recall that every time a motor vessel came up over the horizon at sea it was preceded by its smoke, often by quite a while. It's a bit puzzling in IL2 that you always see the chimneys before the smoke. Can this be changed (a conf parameter maybe?) and/or will it be changed in BoB?

Also, I'm using SLI graphics on a fast Alienware machine w/2GB RAM, XPPro and I still get game stutters when other flights spawn. Do I have to go to RAID 0 to cure this?

i dont know about the smoke bit but we all have to live with those stutters. it even happens in online missions as well.

mango42,

I would trade all the 1946 paper aircraft for realistic smoke sighting, as you are totally right, you first see the smoke column, and for believable rear gunners.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    I think we can only hope that smoke will be much better in the new sim. The reality of computing power was that smoke used to be a huge hit...not the volumetric fog and whatnot...thats pretty easy by todays standards but proper smoke effects...note that most of them are somewhat limited in the current engine and incur a pretty significant bite in the FPS...especially on lower end machines.

As for the stuttering...hard to beat that. Its just the information being loaded in dynamically. A faster hard drive would probably help but I think this is yet another engine glitch that could probably be fixed with a re-write of certain things.

Many thanks indeed for your responses - I had a suspicion I might be just blowing off steam (or is that smoke?)

Shame about the stutters - thought throwing money at it might have worked - hey ho

Of all flight sims, IL2 is way ahead but roll on BoB - dynamic weather is what I'm really waiting for - tall order, I know!

Anybody here tried Flightgear for Linux - early plane screenshots don't look too good but the idea of open source is very appealing!

Thanks once again.

jUST A suggestion. If your screen stutters or freezes for longer than usual, pull up on the stick as this freeze has caused me a few nose dive crashes into the ground. Pulling up on the stick keeps the nose up.