Or perhaps, retain the mouse for traverse and elevation, but impose a maximum turn/elevate rate.

Same goes for airborne gunners. Turrets have a maximum rotate speed, which is not modeled in PF (can turn as fast as you move the mouse). Even for hand-held weapons, they should be more difficult to move.

I also hope that weapons have the need to be reloaded. Not just magazines vanishing while you fire.

Track IR controlling Airborne Gunners would be awesome. Attack Helicopters that has it's Gun Turret system following the Pilot's head movements. Lets bring this Gun Turret system back in time by having Track IR simulating the Gun Turret system on Attack Helicopters but using this on World War 2 Bombers instead. Would this be considered as cheating?

I have a better idea. A Track IR controlling a 90 mm Flak Gun that use radio detonator fuse. Radio detonator fuse will cause flak rounds to explode when it senses it's close to aircraft. With this 90 mm Flak Gun controlled by Track IR & using radio detonator fuse then I'll take out enemy aircraft 10 km away. Would you like to get blown away from human 90 mm Flak Guns at 10 km distance with pin point accuracy?

It's not realistic to fly an aircraft from Gunner positions. I still have control on all functions as a Pilot while I'm in any Gunner positions. A V 4.00 document states that a powered Gun Turret rotates at maximum 60 degrees/second & that would be 360 degrees in 6 seconds. I increase mouse sensitivity to 2.0 & I rotate 360 degrees in 2 seconds. Some may call this cheating but I don't care because I take any advantage that I can find that is part of the game.

If all AI Airborne Gunners were to be removed then the focus would be concentrated on stopping guys like me from rotating Airborne Gunner positions faster than historical. If mouse control for Gunner positions was to be changed to joystick control then this would bring in the historical accuracy of rotating 60 degrees/second. Airborne Gunner control with joystick is just as effective because it worked great in Microprose B-17 Flying Fortress 2.

If Airborne Gunner control was to be changed from mouse to joystick then the focus would be concentrated on that it's the concept itself of using a Airborne Gunner that isn't fair towards enemy Fighters because Fighters have to move the aircraft to line up for a shot while Airborne Gunners only have to move guns & not the aircraft to line up for a shot.

Originally posted by Fennec_P:
    Same goes for airborne gunners. Turrets have a maximum rotate speed, which is not modeled in PF (can turn as fast as you move the mouse). Even for hand-held weapons, they should be more difficult to move.
    Nope... Try whipping around the Martin turrets on the B-25 or A-20. They only go so fast. It's even in the 3.0 PF readme--I can't remember what the maximum deg/sec speed is for the Martin turrets, but it's somewhat limited.

However, they can pick up and move decently, so it might feel like you can wave them around as fast as you want.

F19_Olli72's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by PlaneEater:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fennec_P:
    Nope... Try whipping around the Martin turrets on the B-25 or A-20. They only go so fast. It's even in the 3.0 PF readme--I can't remember what the maximum deg/sec speed is for the Martin turrets, but it's somewhat limited.

However, they can pick up and move decently, so it might feel like you can wave them around as fast as you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the PF readme: "Maximum traverse speed for the electric top turret is 60 deg / sec"

I even tried to put my mouse on max speed, doesnt help. As for the mounted hand operated guns, check my post in the "On the subject of AI gunners" thread...