There`s still hope for us poor Grey Wolves - Ubisoft will release a U-boot addon to SH4. Personally I found SH4 utterly boring, and the new graphics just didn`t sell it to me, missing those Atlantic battles too much.

But, there`s new hope on the horizon, appearantly it will be possible to command some of the large ocean-faring Type IXs on Indian Ocean.

And there`s more...

New engine with the good old U-boots to command, that`s what I need.

HuninMunin's Avatar Senior Member
    Owned.

GerritJ9's Avatar Senior Member
    The only thing REALLY wrong with SH4 is a lack of playable DUTCH submarines.

Ouo! That's some nice graphic here! Thinking to put my hands on that!
    How is the gameplay? Interesting??

Dunno, they just released the news. The original SH4 bored the hell out of me with the Pacific`s extreme distances (Pearl' to Japan at 10 knots... ugh!), lack of convoy battles, lack of interesting gadgets for the boat, lack of the huge selection of torpedoes I got used to etc. I didn`t felt home in US subs either.. In short, it was repetitive, and dull (I am speaking about the USN campain in SH4, I don`t know about the expansion pack).

I hope the Indian ocean would be more interesting.. the real blast would be to re-visit the Atlantic, though.. Scapa would be a blast with that nice new GX engine, all the plants on the seabad etc.

polak5's Avatar Senior Member
    there is some good news. I pretty much feel the same about silent hunter 4 the graphics are nice and all but it hasent grabbed my attention as much as 3 did.

Bewolf's Avatar Senior Member
    SHIV mainly has an immerion problem. The setting has lots and lots of potential, the graphics are superb, the patched campaign layers are great and with some modding a lot of stuff can be, and already was, done. But they took a huge step back when it comes to the commanded sub. Lack of stations, upgrades, torpedos, crew...all seriously lacking in comparison to SHIV.

If they do not work this over for that addon, even a U-boat campaign won't bring me back and I'll stay with my good ole SHIII.

There will be stations, appearantly :

I love the radar screen`s graphics. As for upgrades and torps, that`s kind of the curse of the theatre, US subs were relatively standard compared to German ones, fewer torpedo types historically.. I kinda liked the crew interface (SH3 requied far too micromanaging), and especially the fact that there were missions of some variety, instead of BdU`s sterotypic 'communcitations' with my U-boot..

All said, lack of immersion was the greatest weakness of SH4, and being totally alone on your own that of SH3... especially odd in view of Wolfpack tactics.. I`ve never met anoter German sub, never attacked a convoy together, never seen a frigging Axis ship.. recon plane.. Milk Cow.. anything. Just me, The Allies and the Atlantic.

joeap's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Bewolf:
    SHIV mainly has an immerion problem. The setting has lots and lots of potential, the graphics are superb, the patched campaign layers are great and with some modding a lot of stuff can be, and already was, done. But they took a huge step back when it comes to the commanded sub. Lack of stations, upgrades, torpedos, crew...all seriously lacking in comparison to SHIV.

If they do not work this over for that addon, even a U-boat campaign won't bring me back and I'll stay with my good ole SHIII.
    Come on guys, as you said the campaigns have been fixed and modded. But the crew and damage management is WAYYY better in SHIV. Much better, I mean the annoying **** of trying to swap out tired crewmen is gone and watches are automated. If you go to battle stations ALL your crew are on alert and you get a boost in efficiency, but don't forget to stand them down afterward. I find the stations more detailed and logical. Ok you can't click on your 3D crewmen to ask them stuff big whoopie. I certainly am glad for these improvements.

joeap's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Kurfurst__:

All said, lack of immersion was the greatest weakness of SH4, and being totally alone on your own that of SH3... especially odd in view of Wolfpack tactics.. I`ve never met anoter German sub, never attacked a convoy together, never seen a frigging Axis ship.. recon plane.. Milk Cow.. anything. Just me, The Allies and the Atlantic.
    You never tried GWX, they have added wolfpacks of a sort and scripted a lot of historical Axis warship movements. Including in ports, you see the Twins as well as Prinz Eugen in Brest at the right times for example. I mean u-boats would not have seen a lot of ships, especially Axis ones to be honest.