Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Well so I did

Odd really, since I really don't mind any plane being in the sim- if I don't like it, I don't fly it or use it

BUT-

I was reading today, about the annular wing.

Did you know, that SNECMA (European members may be the only ones not mystified by the name) tried this, too?

In 1959, they flew a very odd looking aircraft, not very dis-similar to the Lerche, called the "Coleoptere", which looked like the head and neck of an aluminum pigeon was sticking out of a whisky tumbler with wheels. Buck Rogers to be sure. It flew nine times before it was destroyed in flight. Pilot ejected, miraculously. But it flew

Another odd thing- the RAF tried prone pilot experiments with a Meteor in the mid-50s. The pilot suffered from vertigo, couldn't see behind him, and got exhausted easily...but it worked

So here we have pilots laying down, and pilots flying planes with circular wings in the real world. Just as in the Lerche, as I understand

True, ten years after 1945 at least. But then again, Germany was willing to try some radical things during the war that other countries would not try- Me 163 for instance, the Fiesler FI 103R for another. So what's the big deal about the Lerche? Especially in a 1946 setting? This aircraft is not hard to rationalise, it seems to me

LEBillfish's Avatar Senior Member
    No issue here....The U.S. itself made a solid effort after the war to develop vertical take off craft. Yet even today they simply are not the best option.........Point to them though sometimes they are the only one. Yet you know me, I have no issues with any plane added....More is gooder <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_BLACK">"Does this make my Hien look big?"
    "I love my Ha-40's"
    "She loves teh Swallow"
    "Don't call me cho-cho san"
    </span>

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    An interesting oddity. I like that they modeled the thing as envisioned, discovered it couldn't fly, and fiddled with it until it could. Ian Boys review of the 1946 add-on indicates that the Lerche is an all conquering monster.

The French thing looks pretty interesting, it seems to have had a good run of test flights. I wonder why they dropped it?

The Convair XYF Pogo, no annular wing but in a similar vein. <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Dum spiro, spero

I can't wait for the flood of videos and pictures of people trying to figure out how to land the thing...all i know is, i'm going to be filling the beautiful russian stepes with lots of crater holes, with little more than the cockpit section of the Lerche sitting in them.
    And on my first landing, i will most likely run through my house yelling "I DID IT!!! I CONQUERED THE BEAST!"
    My roommates will look at me in confusion...see the computer, and just shake their heads. <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Originally posted by BuzzU:

"I never had a problem running CF3. It just sucked "

"CFS2 was excellent for its time. CFS3 was an an unfinished pile of poop perpetrated on the flight sim community." Sky chimp

"Those are not slats, Ray Charles if he were alive, could see that they are leading edge flaps.

Slats are so 1940's"
    Reisen

Actionhank
    ~Aaron White

F19_Olli72's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by actionhank1786:
    how to land the thing
    <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

F19 Virtual Squadron
    Screenshotart.com

X-Plane thinks it flies:

Good first post but short of piccies, so I went and found some of the Coléoptère, which actually flew. Not such a mad concept after all.

More info here.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Cheers, Spinner

<hr class="ev_code_hr" />
    o Squads! Take a look at the ADW War, it's fantastic!
    o Spinner has been alive in ADW for a maximum of: 3hrs 38mins!

my beef isn't that it is included as a plane. I don't like the fact that it was modeled then had the FM fudged so you could fly it. Kinda lame but what the heck <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Originally posted by marc_hawkins:
    Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. A 108:0 kill ratio is insignificant next to the power of the Force

http://www.fas.org/main/home.jsp

I thought they had tried the sums, found out it wouldn't have made it, worked out what would get the bugger off the ground then modeled it - don't quote me on this! <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Tom

"When a prang seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible."

click sig to go to VWA:

Intuitively, looking at those ring designs I'd expect them to have incredible roll rates but very poor turning performance.

But then I'm not an aerodynamicist.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Cheers, Spinner

<hr class="ev_code_hr" />
    o Squads! Take a look at the ADW War, it's fantastic!
    o Spinner has been alive in ADW for a maximum of: 3hrs 38mins!