never fails, get into turning fight and about the time i says gotcha i stall/spin away out of control, just like the machi 202. seems I cant manage to kill anything in these, but dont have problems in most other aircraft.

Oh well, and is manchuria on the horizon?

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    In 4.04 yes it is...in 4.05 is much improved although some dispute that most would say its been fixed considerably.

Keep in mind that you can't yank and bank a Mustang all day long. Its wings are more heavily loaded than your average turn fighter and its laminar flow wings which allow it such speed don't work very well when you're always turning.

You may want to decrease the sensitivity on your joystick as well.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Dont get into a prolonged turnfight in a Mustang... especially down low. A period of T&B is doable... but if it lasts too long the stall/spins is knocking on your door. Keep your speed up your trim slightly down and dont yank on the stick.

I'm not sure the Mustang is really much more stall prone than any other fighter, but it most certainly does have more elevator authority. It's MUCH easier to pull yourself into an accellerated stall than in many other fighters, especially if you use a exponential sensitivity curve (i.e. your joystick sliders describe an upwards curve). If you flatten out the sliders a bit the plane shouldn't be hard to fly.

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    Reducing the maximum elevator authority to about 50% really helps prevent both the accelerated stall and with removing your own wings. Can't turn as tight but its much nicer to fly.

Treetop64's Avatar Senior Member
    Why are you getting into turnfights in the P-51 in the first place? The P-51 is an "energy fighter", not a turn-and-burner, and this is historically accurate.

Though, I should shut up now because I suck at flying the P-51. But I am good at researching it!

Originally posted by Treetop64:
    Why are you getting into turnfights in the P-51 in the first place? The P-51 is an "energy fighter", not a turn-and-burner, and this is historically accurate.
    Isn't "energy fighting" and "turn and burn" the same thing? Or am I the one getting confused again?

I thought the P-51 was primarily a BnZ beast.

Turn fighting or "turn and burn" as it is often referred to in here means turning in merry-go-round circles until you eventually get the enemy into your gunsights - it's probably self explaining that in order to do this you should be in the more manoeuvrable plane, otherwise you'll just get eaten alive.

Energy fighting or "boom 'n zoom" means building up altitude and speed (=energy) before entering a fight and using this advantage against your enemy by making high speed passes with ensuing "zoom climbs" (more or less shallow climbs) to get back to altitude and thus energy again. You do this as often as you need to down your enemy. The advantage is that you are far less vulnerable than in turn fights as in the latter you can always be jumped by an enemy fighter without much chance to get away again as you have "burned" away most of your own energy in the tight turns. However you have to be very patient with the boom and zoom approach and in most cases you will need multiple passes to cripple/kill a target

Thank you for clarifying that. I've "played around" with this sim since PF came out, but recently I've become more focused on trying to really learn the concepts. It's starting to overwhelm me a tad. Going online and having other pilots constantly shoot me as easily as a hunter would shoot a deer without legs has gotten quite discouraging.

I know I can fly. I just have to learn how to push these machines to the absolute limit. I wish there was a server around somewhere where I could go on, meet up with someone in the air, and have them chase me around, recording the session so I can be critiqued. And then reversing the situation so I can try chasing. Is there such a server?

It gets rather frustrating. Tonight, I spent 15 minutes flinging around with an MC200 on "rookie" and barely touched him. *grumble*

I do love the sim. I'm just not sure yet how best to develop my skills.

Gosh, ok, that was a touch off topic. Sorry. We return back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

stansdds's Avatar Senior Member
    Turning fights were not the strong suit of most U.S. fighters, they were much better at energy fighting (boom and zoom). Tight turns and sustained turns with U.S. fighters will either bleed off all your energy or put in an accelerated stall. Same goes for performing loops. Easy stick pressures are the key and if you aren't filling your target with lead in half to three quarters of a complete 360 degree turn, then odds are your opponent is about to get the upper hand.