MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi all,

I was wondering as to how the Vets that were involved in the D-Day Landings view the world today. In their minds...is today a better place?

Within the next 2 weeks or so I'll be meeting a distant relative of mine who was a Royal Navy Swordfish pilot employed on convoy protection missions between the US and the UK.

He flew from a converted oil tanker fitted with a 100 yard/meter runway and a total of 3 Swordfish lashed to the deck.

He feels forgotten by his country. He is today crippled by the many hours that he flew in an open cockpit in sub zero conditions searching for U-Boats. His gunner was aged 16 and lied about his age to join up.

I suspect that he would be horrified to learn of the British Air Ministry ban on 'nose art' as posted in a current thread here

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi all,

I was wondering as to how the Vets that were involved in the D-Day Landings view the world today. In their minds...is today a better place?

Within the next 2 weeks or so I'll be meeting a distant relative of mine who was a Royal Navy Swordfish pilot employed on convoy protection missions between the US and the UK.

He flew from a converted oil tanker fitted with a 100 yard/meter runway and a total of 3 Swordfish lashed to the deck.

He feels forgotten by his country. He is today crippled by the many hours that he flew in an open cockpit in sub zero conditions searching for U-Boats. His gunner was aged 16 and lied about his age to join up.

I suspect that he would be horrified to learn of the British Air Ministry ban on 'nose art' as posted in a current thread here

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

I was talking to a fellow worker today,he said there are about 3 million US ww2 vets today, it would be interesting to know what they think, I wonder how many view this post! Very interesting question hope you get responds.

My grandfather was in the D-Day invasion and came home with a Purple Heart.

He's in good health these days and I've talked to him regularly. He views the world as a completely different one from what he remembers, in that people worked for a common good rather than for their self interests only, and that people are too concerned about political correctness and offending others.

He's pretty disgusted with the fighting still going on today and the magnitude of it; however he views the fight against terrorism as very essential for our lives, society, and culture. He tries not to talk about it too much, since it frustrates the hell out of him. He's living his days now, trying to be happy with what he has for family, and I'm glad he's still around.