"The 'Star of Africa', Captain Hans-Joachim Marseille of Jagdgeschwader 27, brought his victory total to 158 in the African campaign using the Bf 109F. A brilliant marksman (he averaged only fifteen rounds per victory), Marseille once scored 17 victories, all RAF fighters, in a single day."

--from "Clash of Wings" by Walter Boyne

Hmmm, I think I average about 1500 rounds per victory and I've CRASHED seventeen RAF fighters in a single day...

"The 'Star of Africa', Captain Hans-Joachim Marseille of Jagdgeschwader 27, brought his victory total to 158 in the African campaign using the Bf 109F. A brilliant marksman (he averaged only fifteen rounds per victory), Marseille once scored 17 victories, all RAF fighters, in a single day."

--from "Clash of Wings" by Walter Boyne

Hmmm, I think I average about 1500 rounds per victory and I've CRASHED seventeen RAF fighters in a single day...

Badsight.'s Avatar Senior Member
    this guy was the baddest of the Bad

compared to him , Eric Hartmann was a newbie

he scored all 158 kills before eric hartmann got his first kill. ponder that for a second. now think if he wouldnt have had an engine malfunction where he bailed and had a chute malfunction and died.

he would have been at about 700 kills by wars end. double hartmann. with less sorties.

it was not meant to be. divine intervention yadd yadda call it what you will but the world did not want germany to win and the side of good got all the breaks. thats not all luck . unless your athiest

LeadSpitter_'s Avatar Banned
    He was definatly a greatly skilled pilot in a short ammount of time especially against greater odds, nothing compaired to saburo saki but **** good.

research the ammount of allied pilots who got 2-10 victories in NA compaired to the axis and total air losses. I know a couple sorties Marseille racked up 10 spitfire kills on the ground in NA in one sortie, all adds up quickly.

I think the total number of allied/axis pilots and aircraft looses during the NA campaign really shows how the theater was won.

Badsight.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Sabauro wouldnt have flopped out of Hans aim like he did to american pilots . . . .

& the NA theater was won thru supply attrition moreso than either sides fighter dominance

Hauptman Hans-Joachim Marseille is certainly one of my favorite pilots. He was a very honorable man, and at the time of his death was considered by many (including the British and Adolph Galland) on both sides to be the top pilot in the world. There is a British account of him dropping "notes" over British airfields (with AA flying) providing status of a captured and mortally wounded English pilot under care in a Luftwaffe field hospital.

Marseille shot down 101 P-40's, 30 Hurricanes, 16 Spitfire's and four twin engine bombers. ALL against the UK Commonwealth. By the way, that plane count doesn't include ground kills.

On September 30th 1942 Hauptman Marseille was killed after bailing out of his new Bf-109G2, when he struck the tail of his inverted aircraft after an oil leak/fire (as xxcurarexx pointed out). His parachute never opened. This was over a month prior to the U.S. arriving in theatre (Operation Torch, Nov 1942).

From Mike Spicks "Luftwaffe Fighter Aces: The Jagdflieger and Their Combat Tactics and Techniques" :

"At the height of his powers he expended an average of fifteen shells and bullets per victory. More than one wingman has described the first shells hitting the nose of the enemy aircraft, then 'walking' back to the cockpit area."

Marsielle was considered the best marksman in the Luftwaffe during his North African career.

Another of the Luftwaffe's top 4 marksmen, who adopted Marsielle's 109 techniques to the FW-190 was Eric Rudorffer, "the master of the multiple kill". Rudorffer once downed six P-40's in seven minutes in North Africa (Spick).

From "Messerchmit Aces" by Walter Musciano:

"Eric Rudorffer was the master of multiple scoring, having achieved more multiple kills than any other fighter pilot"

"In November 1942, Rudorffer was transferred to Tunisia, North Africa, with II/JG2 and made Kommandeur of the Gruppe in the following month. His first multiple kills did'nt come till February 1943, when he shot down 8 British aircraft in 32 minutes on the ninth and 7 more in 20 minutes on the fifteenth."

"After destroying 74 adversaries with JG2 Richtofen in the West, Rudorffer was transferred to the Russian front in June, 1943, as Gruppenkommandeur of II/JG54 Grunherz in the Leningrad area. On August 24th, he shot down 5 Soviet aircraft in 4 minutes on the day's first mission, and scored 3 more in seven minutes during the second. On October 11th, Rudorffer scored 7 victories in seven minutes, from 12:20 to 12:27!

His outstanding feat of aerial combat came on November 5 when, in the 17 minutes between 1:00 PM and 1:17 PM, Eric Rudorffer shot down no less than 13 enemy aircraft!"

In 1944 Rudorffer's Gruppe engaged a large flight of 60 IL-2's. He shot down 9 Sturmoviks in 10 minutes. On his second sortie, he shot down another 2 Soviet aircraft in 2 minutes, making his score for the day 11.

Rudorffer ended the war alive, with 222 official victories. 86 against the Western Allies (including 10 American heavy bombers) and 136 against the Soviets.

These are only two of my favorite Experten, but you should also check out Heinz Bar, Werner Schoer and Emil "Bully" Lang (World record for most kills in one day, 18).

Thank you for posting this. Enjoyable topic.

If anyone in interested in a quiz; Who was the top Spitfire killer in WWII and how many did he nail?

S~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TX-Gunslinger:

If anyone in interested in a quiz; Who was the top Spitfire killer in WWII and how many did he nail?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was Joseph "Pips" Priller, called the mathematician of the air. He scored 68 Spits out of his total tally of 101.

What did I win ?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last ►►