F19_Ob's Avatar Senior Member
    KNOW YOUR OPPONENT.
    Hope This small tutorial may give some of you a good start to fly the Macchi-series online.

Regards. ob

.----------------------------------------------

Love the heck out of them, but they can really only win by luck or bounce or teamwork online.

The machinegun equipped macchis are in big trouble unless the pilot is a good marksman because it's hard to hit a twisting enemy and in the normal case it will take dangerously long time to down any fighter and the tracers may draw enemies to the scene.

The earliest Macchi 200 saetta is my favorite but it gets outurned and outgunned by Hurricane mk2b, P40, spit vb and also I-16, I-153, laggs and yaks.
    It can't run away either, although a few are about 10 to 20 kph slower. Only the I-153 can't keep up with an undamaged Saetta.

So, Saettas Cant run, turn, dive or climb away with any of them and also are outgunned.
    Talk about a plane for the super-experten.

The macchi 202's fare no better and the same misforune follow them with their contemporary enemies.
    The latest Macchi 205 Veltro however has 2 cannons wich enables it to kill faster and a bounce may be successful in one pass sometimes.
    The veltro has about same speed as 109 G6 (early) and generally in the same class exept for the 30mm cannon available on the 109.
    The 109G6 is more stable and doesn't snapstall easily like the Veltro close to stallspeed or when pulling hard in turns.

Unfortunately for the Veltro its most common opponents are better.
    La5F-FN outclass it in speed and turn wich means u got 1 pass only.
    Also the Spitfire mk9c (1943), Lagg3 and yak's
    Have about same speed in level fligh aswell as in dive and climb.
    This means u cant turn with these latter either, but u have a small chance to survive by fleeing in a dive to create separation because the enemies catch up slowly.
    If one fail to get separation or is hit they ofcourse catch up faster but in best case friendlies may have time to intervene.

None of the Macchis should win 1 vs 1 fights against these above mentioned enemies, so it's a team plane like p47 and p51 and preferably BnZ.
    The fw190 is more potent in armament, speed in dive and rollrate, wich is very important for BnZ tactics, but the 205 Veltro can turn a bit better like the 109G6.
    ------------------------------------

With this said, I have shot down quite many spits, La5FN and Lagg3 and yaks already by zooming in and out of furballs with little turning, but if chased I must rely on mates to help or death is imminent.

----------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------

more added:

A Quick and not too exact test on crimea map at 1000m.

---------------------------------------------
    Macchi 205 Veltro and Bf109G6 (1943) get about same figures in climb , dive and level speed.
    * Level speed at 1000m: 480 kph (on speedbar)
    * 650kph (speedbar) in dive at 30' to groundlevel.
    *Zoomclimbs up to 1700m with 170kph at hand.

------------------------------------------------

La5F and La5 FN (1943) Get almost same figures although F accellerates slower.
    * Levelspeed at 1000m: 510kph (speedbar)
    * 680kph in a 30' dive from 1000m and retains level energy longer than Veltro and G6 after leveling at deck. (Probably because of it's higher topspeed)
    * Zoomclimbs back up to 1700m with 190kph at hand.

-----------------------------------------------

Spitfire mk9c and Lagg3 66series (1943) are also about the same although the LaGG is Lazy in acceleration and doesn't turn as well:
    * Levelspeed at 1000m: 480kph (speedbar) although the LaGG is slower in acceleration.
    * Both have about same dive and zoomclimb as 109G6 and Veltro although the LaGG3 lags behind marginally slower in the climb.

------------------------------------------------

As U see the differences in speed in these stages are marginal and La5F-FN is better than both Veltro and 109G6 and spit turns better and LaGG is close and should atleast outurn the Veltro if not the 109G6.

With more tests I'm sure one can get small deviations from these figures since I was fast doing them.
    My online experience so far atleast convinces me that this is what I should have in the back of my head when fighting with the Veltro, or I'm dead meat.

One of the things making it very hard to run and evade with the Veltro is the slow roll wich a spit or LaGG may follow. Another thing is the poor visibility backwards because u sit so close to the seat (compared with other planes), even with mirror. The mirror is tilted so u see above and behind and one can't see straight behind in it unless U roll so one wing points up. (perhaps a mirror miss in programming?)

Well, what I got so far.

Fantastic work on the Macchis guys

PBNA-Boosher's Avatar Senior Member
    Gotta love the Italians! They've been relying on teamwork since Roman times. Those who fight together, live together, die together.

Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
    Gotta love the Italians! They've been relying on teamwork since Roman times. Those who fight together, live together, die together.
    ...and those who run away together, survives together

Originally posted by JG301_nils:

This kind of comment is unwarranted and offensive. I would suggest a rephrasing.

Very Good run down on the Macchi series... they are turning into one of my favorites along with the Hurricane, Mig and Bi-Planes.
    And must agree about the Great Job that went into programing them.

Mc-202.....doent think its slow or outgunned, have no prob keeping 380-440 in a dogfight...and the guns well its about how you aim, distance and convergence, but with timing one pass kill is far from imposible

F19_Ob's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by SnailRunner:
    Mc-202.....doent think its slow or outgunned, have no prob keeping 380-440 in a dogfight...and the guns well its about how you aim, distance and convergence, but with timing one pass kill is far from imposible
    What contemporary enemy planes online are you not outturned by in that dofight?..... and what contemporary enemy plane online doesn't outgun the 202?

I am glad they are programmed finally but I must say the learning curve for them is very steep. The stalling in them makes the P39D and P400 look stable. For some reason I thought that the MC202 and MC205 were impressive aircraft when manned properly. I on the other hand seem to burn off my speed quicker than if I had just nailed the ground.

Originally posted by HarlockGN:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG301_nils:

This kind of comment is unwarranted and offensive. I would suggest a rephrasing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehh, I think you need to take a chill pill....

That's a nice review, Ob. Thanks!

I always loved the deathtraps in IL2. Better to burn honourably in one of those than to die of embarrassment after being shot in a uber-late-war-plane