p-11.cAce's Avatar Senior Member
    Amazon Link

This is a shameless plug - the author (John Fleischman - who is a regular contributor to Air&Space mag) is a good family friend, and I work with his wife

Bearcat- pm me a shipping address and I've got a signed copy for you!

"Black & White Airmen,their true story"
    From Booklist
    Fleischman fleshes out an article originally published in Air & Space Smithsonian about a late-blooming friendship between white bomber pilot Herb Heilbrun and Tuskegee Airman John Leahr with compellingly written war reminiscences, a stinging indictment of the U.S. Army Air Force's discrimination against blacks, and a sometimes-surprising picture of segregation's local realities before and during World War II. Although the two men were both born in 1920, grew up near one another in Cincinnati, and actually flew several missions together, they didn't discover their connections until meeting at a military reunion 50 years later. Adding to the personal story are photos of airplanes and memorabilia, and the book is capped by a startling "picture that makes the story"--a 1928 class photo in which the two stand side-by-side, oblivious to one another. An exemplary annotated, multimedia resource list closes this double portrait, which, though slightly unfocused, is often thrilling and consistently absorbing. John Peters
    Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

p-11.cAce's Avatar Senior Member
    Amazon Link

This is a shameless plug - the author (John Fleischman - who is a regular contributor to Air&Space mag) is a good family friend, and I work with his wife

Bearcat- pm me a shipping address and I've got a signed copy for you!

"Black & White Airmen,their true story"
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From Booklist
    Fleischman fleshes out an article originally published in Air & Space Smithsonian about a late-blooming friendship between white bomber pilot Herb Heilbrun and Tuskegee Airman John Leahr with compellingly written war reminiscences, a stinging indictment of the U.S. Army Air Force's discrimination against blacks, and a sometimes-surprising picture of segregation's local realities before and during World War II. Although the two men were both born in 1920, grew up near one another in Cincinnati, and actually flew several missions together, they didn't discover their connections until meeting at a military reunion 50 years later. Adding to the personal story are photos of airplanes and memorabilia, and the book is capped by a startling "picture that makes the story"--a 1928 class photo in which the two stand side-by-side, oblivious to one another. An exemplary annotated, multimedia resource list closes this double portrait, which, though slightly unfocused, is often thrilling and consistently absorbing. John Peters
    Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member

Thank you!!!

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    Thanks for the tip!