I wanted to ask a question or two about this sim but I see no point about going to their forum.

I've been playing Il2 for 3 years and then just for giggles I thought I'd try Aces High. Lordy, lord. Talk about culture shock or something.

The graphics absolutely suck. The cockpits are ridiculous and the fm for aircraft are shocking compared to Il2. For example, I can easily avoid a p38 or p51 in a zero in Il2. I was amazed at what those two birds can do in Aces High. Is this realistic? They were kicking my butt at low altitude.

So I'm confused. What am I missing here? What is the attraction? Can somebody explain what the devil is going on with a game like that.

Oh yes. The reason I'm checking it out is because I ran into an Aces High bloke while playing multiplayer Il2. This guy was totally disappointed with Il2 and claimed he was returning the game. Something about fms sucking. Yeah, I can understand that after sticking my toes in the water with Aces High.

Like I said, no point in going to the Aces High forum to post this because they are obviously fans. Maybe somebody here could explain the really, really big fan base there.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    The attraction is that some people have rigs that can't handle 46... There is also a massive online multiplayer.. and IMO many people try 46 and are taken aback by the fact that they cant hop in and yank & bank... For me there was no appeal.. I have been an exclusive 1C simmer since I first tried IL2 in 2002... BoB:WoV is ok.. certainly better than AH.. Fighter Aces is the same IMO... To each his own but AFAIC.. you are already in the premier WWII combat Flight sim to date.. why go slumming.

skarden's Avatar Senior Member
    well i tried aces's high II before i got into Il-2 bigtime,and i gotta say i did enjoy it for what it was,and i'll admit that i'v done a few dummy names for more trial periods for pretty much one reason and one reason only.

Main arena's!,the idea that you can join a master(ish) arena and fly in a big conflict against hundreds of other player and capture towns and airfields over a couple of weeks one by one untill you win the map/scenario to me is very cool

it's certainly a lot better then the DF server's that populate most of the IL-2 lanscape where there's no goal,except to shoot the other guy done no matter what,even to the point where they use you as bait and dont engage till your flaming and your attacker is trying to get away clean

if oleg ever did the pay for play master server kind of deal that he's hinted at a few times(as a side project to SOW from what i'v read) where we'd have the latest eye candy and FM's and DM"s with a master online WWII world I'd pay quiet happily for it with a big *** grin on my face

Originally posted by Bearcat99:
    and IMO many people try 46 and are taken aback by the fact that they cant hop in and yank & bank... For me there was no appeal.. why go slumming.
    Interestingly, the AH fellow I ran into was not handling his bird well. I'm average and I was flying circles around him which he noted. I think you have something there about yanking and banking.

R.e the slumming point, curiosity killed the cat and Il2 brought him back, or something to that effect. Sure there are aspects about Il2 which are debatable, lord knows the debate never ends here. But for sheer beauty Il2 makes AH looks kinda weak. I like to admire the planes, cockpits and scenery as much as I like to fly.

I do like being able to jump in a ground vehicle with guns or man an anti a/c gun while an airfield is under attack. That's kinda neat.

I just can't get over those lousy cockpits tho. An A6 with American gauges and gauges never seen before in an a/c of this era and a bullet counter for crying out loud.

What does AFAIC mean?

What's Fighter Aces? Did a Google. No game showed up.

Another thing I'm curious about. Are the fms out of the ballpark with FA? I experienced a P-38 and P-51 behaving quite differently than I'm accustomed to experiencing in Il-2.

AFAIC= As far as I'm concerned...

I gave Aces High a try and I spent more time driving around in the land vehicles and PT Boats than flying the aircraft.

If it's a pay to play game however, I've always been more willing to put my cash towards WW2 Online- same type of goals as Aces High but better done. Don't fly in WW2OL though it's just as much of a let down after being an IL2 player.

edit- Fighter Ace is similar to Aces High.

Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:
    AFAIC= As far as I'm concerned...

I gave Aces High a try and I spent more time driving around in the land vehicles and PT Boats than flying the aircraft.

If it's a pay to play game however, I've always been more willing to put my cash towards WW2 Online- same type of goals as Aces High but better done. Don't fly in WW2OL though it's just as much of a let down after being an IL2 player.

edit- Fighter Ace is similar to Aces High.
    Thank you.

Lol. I just encountered the inability to grab a plane and got stuck in some vehicle.

Frankly, I've been spoiled with Il-2. But my experiences with these alternatives have been interesting, albeit disconcerting.

Sorry about the Fighter Aces question. Dumb. Added an "ess". Can't be sloppy with my input, I'm constantly reminded.

I did Warbirds 3 years ago prior to Il-2. Very similar to Aces High and, I suspect, Fighter Ace.

Well, I just blew $14.95. Il-2 is an overwhelmingly superior product in most aspects, even if some A/C performance is perplexing, like the FM differences. The site claims they took painstaking efforts to model the aircraft accurately.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Fighter Ace I tried both of them... There is anothr called Warbirds as well... but I too am spoiled by this sim. For me. if it cant do at least what thois one does it is a step down..

Originally posted by Bearcat99:
    Fighter Ace I tried both of them... There is anothr called Warbirds as well... but I too am spoiled by this sim. For me. if it cant do at least what thois one does it is a step down..
    Yeah, I can't disagree Mr Bearcat99. Like I said, $14.95. down the loo.

Jaws2002's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Codger1949:
    For example, I can easily avoid a p38 or p51 in a zero in Il2. I was amazed at what those two birds can do in Aces High. Is this realistic? They were kicking my butt at low altitude.

Can somebody explain what the devil is going on with a game like that..
    That game is made in Texas for Texans. Sorry if it sounds harsh but that is an old fasion old looking game that is made to show the kids how we beat the nazis and Japanese back in ww2.

I played it for about 3 years. The only thing that kept me there was the massive multiplayer part of it. The big missions and big fights.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►