No. What is exclusive to Nvidia is their licensing of the openEXR storage format required for HDR. nvidia doesn't own or created openEXR, but it does have support for Floating point filtering and blending which gives comparable image quality to hollywood movies, preferably those of ILM. Any card capable of SM2.0 is able to use HDR via using a ping pong method which involves doing the blending manually rather than in hardware via FP and blending which Nvidia 6800 series supports. Also, SM2.0 HDR does have limitations also where it is limited to Interger 16 bit percision where as FP has floating point 16 bit precision as well as other features such as floating point Alpha blending and superior quality HDR [not that i notice the difference mind]. So HDR is not exclusive to Nvidia cards, but FP filtering and blending is at the moment. Hell its even possible to do HDR on directx8.1 hardware, but its limited and in a gaming situation it implementation would not be an effective one, preferably reducing the refresh rates to single digits...if that. It is limited. I'll link you to a demo that uses directx8.1 - i.e SM1.0, 1.1, 1.3, 1.4 - to achieve HDR.

EDIT: For that particular HDR demo you will need either an ATI Radeon 8500 and above or a Nvidia Geforce3 and above.

Link

When I first cranked up SCCT a couple of weeks ago, I played with the options. I found HDR to be da shiz (don't want to get too technical) but was a framerate killa. I'm using a 6600GT.

If I had my choice between HDR and AA, I'd probably go with HDR (if I could). The SC series is so dark that the jaggies don't matter as much as in "bright" games - where it really annoys me.

My sweetspot is 10x7 res. with 2XAA, 8XAF, SM3.0. I noticed about a 10% drop in framerate going from SM 1.1 to SM 3.0 but that doesn't add up to alot when you're averaging only 30fps in outdoor scenes.

Spekkio9's Avatar Banned
    I personally like AA better, it's a shame they can't work concurrently.

Originally posted by Spekkio9:
    I personally like AA better, it's a shame they can't work concurrently.
    Give Nvidia a few months and I'm sure such an option will be available soon (I'm not sure but I think I heard somewhere the 7800 GTX already supports HDR & Anti Aliasing....by using a different kind of AA)!

Spekkio9's Avatar Banned
    That's nice, but what the 7800gtx does doesn't help me with a 9800 pro

Sweet link JaillumMalord! I like the tea cups there.

Spartan_M.A.D.'s Avatar Banned
    I love what HDR does to the game, i would choose it over AA in a heartbeat but i have a 6600GT, so its not really playable.

I do have High Quality Soft Shadows enabled, and those look fantastic.

I play at 1024x768 res, all settings enabled, and SM 3.0.

P4 2.53 GHZ
    1 GB PC 2700 DDR RAM
    Geforce 6600 GT AGP

Originally posted by Spekkio9:
    That's nice, but what the 7800gtx does doesn't help me with a 9800 pro
    I'm still wondering why ATI's SM3.0 Video Card isn't out yet because they planned to release it in April or May so people like you could finally benefit of the Shader in SCCT (Graphics look great and with HDR & Tone Mapping enabled even greater)! I mean, just look at NVidia's latest "Flagship", it's almost the next Generation of Videocards! That's gonna be a very tough time for ATI! Well I always prefered NVidia (and still do), but that doesn't mean I don't care about the "suffering" ATI Users!

Spekkio9's Avatar Banned
    Not saying you did. All I'm saying is that it doesn't matter what NVidia's NEXT card can do, or what ATI'S NEXT card can do, because I don't own those cards.

I bought the 9800 pro because in Feb of 2004, that was the best card for a reasonable price on the market. The GeForce 6 series was not even out yet, and the 6600gt wasn't even on the horizon as far as I knew.

Given a choice of a card to buy TODAY, I would go with NVidia. However, I'm not in the market for a GPU just yet. When I am in the market for one, I'll re-evaluate what each company has to offer and choose whichever one fits my criteria.

Spartan_M.A.D.'s Avatar Banned
    nVidia impressed everyone when it made the 7800 GTX available the same day it was announced. Thats never been done b4, and now ATI is feeling the pressure, with nVidia's next generation out and strong, many people already own a 7800 GTX, and ATI's R520 (i think) chip hasn't even made a paper launch, not to mention an actual hardware launch.