Udidtoo's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clayman_52:
    Best of luck to all .... tought I'd share something that may help those trying to quit.

I've never talked about it much except to friends because I thought it was stupid ... but after 11 years of not smoking, maybe not.

Speaking as an ex-two pack a day smoker for over 15 years ... Steve, WeeRapscallion and so many others have the right advice.

Like many I tried quitting 3 or 4 times. Funny, but the last couple of times I noticed myself holding pencils and pens like a cigarette at work more and more up to the point where I'd give in. So the next time I wanted to quit I walked out and bought a pack of Pal Mal reds (no filter). When I felt the urge to "hold" a cigarette I did ... days and weeks into it when I wanted a smoke ... I did. I'd take a unlit Pal Mal and inhale it just like I was smoking. Granted ... it looked stupid.

But it worked.

Before that pack of Pal Mals was used up it was 30 days ... then 60 ... then 10 years and I can't remember the day I quite. Only that it was after spring break.

I tried using the patch. I tried cutting back. I tried Poking holes in my smokes. I tried support groups and on my own I figured out it was NOT just the nicotine but the oral fixation that was doing me in and that's when I came up with my insane idea.

Those first few months my Marlboro's were all still in my house and car, my wife continued to smoke, I still partied with my friends that all smoked ... but I had my "safety net" LOL.

Now all but two of my friends have quit for over 5 years ... and my wife of 16 years still smokes. Yup, that made it tougher.

You see I really, really wanted to quit each of those times. And like each I woke up another morning and said the same thing "I'm tired of this!" But this time those straights got me through ... even tasted good, must have been the bit of nicotine.

I chose to keep my enemy close ... and all kinds of things came back I didn't know I was missing. Of course your lung capacity, but food and drink, run and play longer, I look younger, less colds, smells are outrageous. I didn't know what I was missing.

Yes, it is tough. Find what you need ... use any trick in the book. It is worth it, you just don't fully know it till ya get there.

I'm 56. I quit when I was 45.

---Flyby 99, your right. I forgot. I saved over $2000 a year. I also used a new box as a hook ... built 3 the first 5 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it was stupid at all. You gave your mind and the hand that was used to holding a smoke something to do.

Smoked over 25 years. When I decided to quit I snuffed the last one in the last pack I had out on the front steps went inside and grabbed some toothpicks. When ever the urge got to be to much I reached up over my ear, grabbed a toothpick and it was ok after that. 5+ years now and no smokes. Got a horrible toothpick habit though. Go through the 250 count box in a month or less. Trying to switch to the plastic minty ones. Gotta think green you know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cawimmer430:
    Try to stay away from it for 4 weeks.

Apparently, the human body looses its cravings for something after 4 weeks. Read that on focus.de.

I know it is easier said than done, but I guess if you want to live longer, give it a try.

Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Took me two years before my cravings went away (cold turkey too).
    Better than an ugly, humiliating and expensive death though .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
    My bro kept a small aspirin tin with the butt of the last cig he smoked.
    When he wanted another he would take that out and smell it while thinking about the pictures
    and all he was shown, what the smoke does to you.
    15 years of filling ashtrays at work and he quit that way.

I never smoked that sh_t. My father was up to 5-6 packs a day (Kents) when I was a kid and
    I had to do the respect thing and sit there and breathe like nothing while he'd talk with
    what seemed every breath he took a deep drag. It got me bronchitis and he kept going, his
    right he needed it for his nerves, etc. Before I started school I knew I wouldn't smoke.
    I have no idea what about the stuff makes anyone cool unless stupid = cool to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting.

The first and only time I was ever tempted to smoke was when I caught my friends smoking around the back of the school in 1978. They had a variety of dumb reasons why I should also smoke which would translate to "It`s cool" and "Fun!" etc.

I did actually put the unlit cigarette to my mouth, and then said, "Nah. Forget it." I really couldn`t see the point. Now if they`d said "It`ll get you girls!" That might have altered history. Considering kid peer-pressure, I`m quite please that I was strong enough to resist.

That in the late `70s, everyone and their Grandma was a smoker and you couldn`t even eat without it being shoved in your face, it`s a wonder I never took it up.
    I guess my father being a non smoker helped.

As to the original question, all I can say is, I saw a friend of mine who was a chain-smoker for many years try unsuccessfully to give up. But his health was gradually being affected. He could see the difference between him and me as we were the same age. I`d run up a stairs, but he`d be knackered after the first floor. He tried loads of artificial stuff that didn`t work.

Then 5 years ago, he decided just to STOP. And he did, never touched a cigarette again after that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raaaid:
    im smoking a cigarrete as i write this down and i would like to quit but dont have enough will

any advice plz? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> join the club mate

and what is real bad is that when playing IL2 i smoke more so IL2 is real bad 4 my health

so 4 me to Quit i need to stop playing IL2......... come on BOB

F19_Ob's Avatar Senior Member
    Perhaps not so much advice, more reflection.

I got rid of my addiction some 15 years ago.
    I belive I succeeded because I stopped using nicotine when I was really ill with the flu (2 weeks), wich masked the illnes associated with terminating addictions.
    The other thing with nicotine use is that it has become a habit, a pattern in behavior, wich is even harder to break.

The habit is also hard to break because it isn't ment to be broken. In evolution the habit is what u are used to be doing and doing is what u have learned. So habit is an aid to remember what we have learned and in a way becomes cemented in our being.

Perhaps a bit too deep but I think it provides an excellent explanation to why it is so hard to break the habit.
    The addiction and need for nicotine is practically gone in 2 weeks in most cases as I understand it , and the rest is the force of habit.

I would suggest doing something else than u are used to, a new project. Anything that gives new angles on things. Be occupied with something rewarding.

I've heard a story of a person who rewarded another person with more advanced bedroom-activities during the critical period of quitting.

Unfortunately this other person wasn't me, but I have the fortune to be able to lose myself in studies, and I think it may have helped some.

Still after 15 years I occasionally dream I use nicotine, but when I wake I'm so glad I got rid of it.
    This 'habit'-thing must be really strong when the images still are present after such a long time.

I wish u good luck m8.

Good luck to you raaaid.

Good post by the way, better than some of the nut job ones you have put up. But they always gave me a chuckle.

Been smoking for almost 40 years, down to about 10 a day. I enjoy smoking and will never quit. Thats because I chose not to.

blakduk's Avatar Senior Member
    I used to smoke a packet a day. I was started to get concerned about the number of my patients that had lung problems from smoking- their birth dates were often uncomfortably close to mine!

Raaid- my best advice is to only try to quit when things are going well. Dont try it if you're in the middle of changing jobs, moving house, getting married etc. Stopping smoking is very hard on you physically as well as psychologically so be prepared for a hard time.
    The best piece of advice is to remember that the craving for a cigarette, the times of the day when you really feel like you need one, only last for about ten minutes. If you can distract yourself for that amount of time when the cravings hit you will forget that you wanted one. My major talent is for procrastination so it was easy for me to use this method.
    Use the money you save from smoking to do something else you enjoy- go to the movies, save for a TrackIR, rudder pedals etc.
    I also took to smoking a pen- i look ridiculous and my patients laugh at me but that's okay. I work in mental health so i can appear as eccentric as i like
    I find the act of 'dragging' on a pen and holding my breath for a second or so calms me down a lot. I believe the relief i got from smoking was actually a result of taking 5 minutes to sit down and take a deep breath.
    Finally, go cold-turkey. Dont bother with the expensive chewing gum and patches- its much cheaper to just stop and the physiological effects of nicotine addiction only last a couple of days. The rest is lifestyle and ways of dealing with stress.
    Most people who quit smoking are always left with the feeling that they could easily start again- i'm one of them. I actually quit 15years ago and there are still times i could easily pick up a packet and start again. Whenever i feel like that i remember to delay the idea for ten minutes- it works like a charm.
    Depending on what country you are in you might find there is a government sponsored health campaign to offer advice and support.
    Good luck.

Try vaping

Vaping is really able to replace emotional addiction from smoking, you can try the simplest kit or a wax pen vaporizer, usually two weeks are enough to give up cigarettes once and for all. I quitted with a Xmax V-One and wax concentrates.

Page 4 of 4 ◄◄  First ... 234