I noticed that when playing on line other players fly right by me like im in a sopwith camel. Likewise in combat it takes me forever to catch up to the action. I am using DSL. Is this a connection speed problem, video card, or is my processer just too slow?

I noticed that when playing on line other players fly right by me like im in a sopwith camel. Likewise in combat it takes me forever to catch up to the action. I am using DSL. Is this a connection speed problem, video card, or is my processer just too slow?

vocatx's Avatar Senior Member
    Not being there to see it myself, I'm going to say none of the above. You probably have one of three things going on, or a combination of two or more: Either you aren't trimmed properly, you are using the wrong prop pitch, or you are more heavily loaded with fuel or weapons. Also, on an imbarassing note, you might check to make sure you completely raised your flaps. I was chatting with my flight leader on TS the other night in a co-op and flew half the mission with my combat flaps down.Be sure to check the flap indicator a few minutes after take-off.

What he said. Also, sometimes it's simply maintaining a 'nose-up' attitude. Your speed will increase as you level out, trim out and drop whatever ordnance you may be toting around.

TB

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Not a computer issue...a piloting issue.

Several things to do.

1) Learn to trim your aircraft. Some have only elevator trim and some have full elevator, aileron, and rudder trim. Use these to keep your nose level (for level flight) and the "ball" centered (all or nearly all aircraft have a guage showing how much you are slipping to the left or right, slipping is draggy).

2) Learn to manage your aircrafts engine. Supercharger stages, radiator settings, fuel mixture (rarely but sometimes), and other settings make a difference.

3) Fuel load...preflight check to see how much fuel you're taking. If its a 109 or a Yak 75% may be a good idea....but if its a P-51D Mustang taking 25% is more than enough as you still have more in that 25% than the 109 does in 75%. Fuel is heavy and can have an effect on your acceleration and handling in a fight.

Just a few to consider.

Get ya gears up!

Like the others say, check trim and flaps. On my last squad mission, I forgot to raised flaps and was wondering why I was never catching up. Am I glad for cockpit indicaters! Always check your cockpit levers/lights just to be sure your gears and flaps are in.

Of course, if you fly in WW view then you`ll be a little stuck.

Kuna15's Avatar Senior Member
    If you still didn't sort it out, send me a track of your flying. PM me and I will give you my e-mail adress.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    Most common cause of flying too slow is trying to gain altitude too quickly. Lower your nose a bit and climb at a higher speed/lower climb rate. If that leaves you too low in the combat area, take a detour until you have the altitude you require.