Hi all,

I am planning to learn to shoot by setting a mission with targets moving at different speend/climb/etc. I think learning would work the best if I could play and rewind the trk file. Unfortunately I can not rewind my tracks in il2. I can only play it from start.

Someone please let me know if there is a way to rewind tracks onlya vew seconds back

Thank you

ytareh's Avatar Senior Member
    Cant be done as far as I know...

AndyJWest's Avatar Senior Member
    No, there is no way to rewind .trk files - they simply store the starting situation, and then your control inputs, as far as I can tell, so 'rewinding' would be practically impossible to program. A file that saved enough information to do this would be huge, I'd think.

I think mose of us probably learned to shoot using the Quick Mission Builder - the latest version allows you more control of the starting situation, so make sure you have the latest patch (4.09m).

Don't forget you can select 'Unlimited Ammo' in the difficulties, which is useful for the initial stages of shooting practice. Don't stay with this setting once you get reasonable results though, as you need to learn to save ammo.

WTE_Ibis's Avatar Senior Member
    Well there is a way to work around that by using a free program called fraps.
    Install the program, learn the hotkey for movies, start your track, press the hot key and bingo you have a movie of your track. This can be rewound.
    You will have to make sure that the perspective ie. external or internal view is the one you want as you obviously can't change that in the movie.
    Fraps works well and it will give you frame rates and screen shots.
    Movies take resources so I usually use the half size option.

I hope this helps.
    cheers.

I agree a rewind feature would be nice. Fraps only helps to a limited degree though. Usually I want to get every perspective on a nice crash for instance, and I have to replay the track 20 times just to get it that way I like into Fraps. If we could rewind, then I could play back the interesting parts as many times as I needed, saving a ton of time in the process. I would only need to go through the track once.

The_Stealth_Owl's Avatar Banned
    Baicly, when you make a ntrk, and save it, you are basicly saving like a autopilot, that the computer flies when you play the track, if we got it to rewind, then some butt-heads would figure out how to rewind flying in game. That would not be good.

Thanks for the replies. I would sumup the answer as NO. I still would imagine that there might be MODs that deal with the problem. I will get in touch with mod community. MOD like that would benefit the game. I think that good shooting is most beneficial to the game. I personally get enormous satisfaction when I see my target disintegrate.

Cheers all

Originally posted by Hippo69:
    Thanks for the replies. I would sumup the answer as NO. I still would imagine that there might be MODs that deal with the problem. I will get in touch with mod community. MOD like that would benefit the game. I think that good shooting is most beneficial to the game. I personally get enormous satisfaction when I see my target disintegrate.

Cheers all
    +1 here . A .ntrk rewinder is the final tool for all of us to improve shooting accuracy to ACE level in no time. And all the data from the flight is already in our HD. You only have to play it backwards, which implies FM, DM et al. running backwards too. At first sight not an easy task at all - IMHO -, but I would pay an euro for it at once. Or even 2.

Engadin.

Originally posted by Engadin:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hippo69:

Cheers all
    +1 here . A .ntrk rewinder is the final tool for all of us to improve shooting accuracy to ACE level in no time. And all the data from the flight is already in our HD. You only have to play it backwards, which implies FM, DM et al. running backwards too. At first sight not an easy task at all - IMHO -, but I would pay an euro for it at once. Or even 2.

Engadin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you think looking backwards rather than forwards is going to make any difference to your shooting, you won't see anything different than you do already playing forward 1/4 speed.

All it would do is make looking at the action more convienient, as you don't have to replay to see the same 'moment' in time.

I am always moderately amused by the things people belive will make them an ace, anything but practice

And you won't ever see trk's being able to be rewound, because of how they work. Ntrk's maybe.

To the stealth_owl, thats not how tracks work.

Trks save your inputs, and when you replay the track, it applies these inputs to the flightmodel as 'you' did.

Ntrks, save positions in time, and have no bearing on the flight model, thats why they are forward and backward compatible through versions, and trks arn't.

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by The_Stealth_Owl:
    Baicly, when you make a ntrk, and save it, you are basicly saving like a autopilot, that the computer flies when you play the track, if we got it to rewind, then some butt-heads would figure out how to rewind flying in game. That would not be good.
    Oh come on now, I think flying a plane backwards would be a unique challenge and very fun.