SkyChimp's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't have PF, but this looks like a genuine screen shot.

Is this F4U-1 dropping not one, but two, external fuel tanks? Is that a load-out option?

The F4U-1 couldn't carry any external fuel tanks. The first model that could was the F4U-1A and that was a single tank on the centerline fuselage rack.

The F4U-1 did have the capability to carry a 100 lb bomb under each wing. Is that a load out option?

Were British Corair Is modified to carry two tanks? I'm not saying they weren't, just that I can't find any evidence of it, and they sure weren't built that way at the factory.

I think those may be napalm.

IIRC, external tanks are painted dark blue. I'd have to check though to be sure.

EDIT:

Well, they could be napalm, but it would appear that all variants of the Corsair have combinations of at least 1-3 droptanks available.

F4U-1s didn't have racks for one bomb (or tank) under the fuselage or inner wings, much less two. The F4U-1 COULD be fitted with wing racks on the outer portion of the wings, directly beneath the guns, and ahead of the ejection ports. These could accomodate 100lb class bombs.

The first variant to have a rack was the F4U-1A. That rack was designed by Brewster and could carry a 1,000 lb bomb (although 2,000 lb bombs could be carried as well).

The F4U-1D and it's derivative, the F4U-1C had a rack under both inner wings.

Skycat_2's Avatar Senior Member
    Those aren't drop tanks, Chimp ... The Corsair is flying over two Blue whales!

(Another undocumented surprise )

ElAurens's Avatar Senior Member
    And while we are at it, what is with those Operation Torch markings on a British version of the Corsair?

Maybe they are two Navy anti-sumbarine blimps way below.

I will say, in all fairness, that that may be the game's Corsair I (I understand the game has one of those). And I'm not entirely sure what the heck the Brits did to their planes.

Here is the Loadout Screen

Its available on all 3 corsair planes.

Hopefully it helps to find out. It seems that there is 1 bomb carrier that allows 3 attachments in the middle section on a steel construction.

Here is a F4UD with attachement points.

unfortunatly there is no US F4U-1 "Birdcage" in PF

the only Birdcage is the FAA Corsair MkI , that saw no action so far i read, espacially not in the PTO .
    but is has not the clipped wings like the other FAA Corsairs , so you can use it as ealy US Corsairs - very weird