LAtely ive been flying more the 190A ( 6 and 8 models ) on an internal campaign on my squad, and im starting to learn a lot of dfiferent ways to maximize the 190 performance.

Ive learned long time ago to use it like this:

-radiator ALWAYS open, since it will cost you no speed at all
    -prop pitch at 100% when climbing but auto when maintaning or descending,also applies for combat situations.
    - throtle 110% and boost enganged always if speed is the objective.

but now i start to hear different opinions from pilots in my squad saying that rads are better closed, if diving put prop on 80 not on auto and so on...

my question is, wich is after all the best settings for outrunning and achiving maximum speed during a suistained altitude escape, a dive, zoom climb, and speed constant climb.

thank you

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    As far as the radiator goes... I'm fairly certain that it causes drag. Yes it's a different kind of radiator than the ones that cause obvious drag (see American fighters with R-2800s) but more than a few people who I consider to be knowledgeable stated unequivocally that the FW190s radiator also causes drag when open. It certainly does in game.

So I definitely control my radiator settings. Usually full open while climbing and then closed in combat for as long as possible.

I use 100% prop pitch in most situations and just leave it there. I've never found any real advantages at 80% in a dive. I'll try that again but I just leave it at 100%. I usually throttle back in a dive too as I find the FW190 picks up too much speed in high speed dives.

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    I have to second that radiator open causes drag.

When I was flying the Fw190, i find tactics far more important than a slight bit of extra speed in the climb. I never used prop pitch. I left it on auto.

Exactly how much extra speed/power does messing with the prop pitch gain you?

I think the speed where automatic prop pitch becomes better than 100% (on sea level) is about 10 to 20 km/h slower than the top speed. If flown straight and level or in dive, the automatic pitch is the fastest option. This only applies to A-5 to A-9 though, as A-4 is faster at level flight at full 100% pitch.

The rpms (from memory) on 100% increase in A-5 to A-9 from 2700 to 2900, and in A-4 to 2400 to 2700.

AndyJWest's Avatar Senior Member
    I've just done a quick test with my autopilot. A Fw 190-A5 in level flight at 6000m is about 20Km/h TAS slower with the radiators fully open than fully closed. At 110% throttle it overheats rapidly with the radiator fully closed though, it would probably be more sensible to run it half-open.

K_Freddie's Avatar Senior Member
    WRG to plop pitch..
    On manual PP set it around 80% and then go back to auto-PP.

When into a climb, when revs start getting too low, switch to manual.. helps you hang on a bit longer.
    On the way down only switch to auto when revs hit 2500-2700.. and feel it bite.

edt: If I remember correctly, with radiator closed you can cruise around all day at around 85-95% throttle, and maintain your speed.

thanks for the replies.

Xiolablu3, i cant give you exact numbers but at htis missions i usuallt fly the first something like 3 and half minutes full prop full trhotle and boost getting me into an altiutude of around 3000 meters. without prop i think i could only get to around 2000.

looks like i will start to close my rads a bit more often then to gain those 20 Kph, just in case that one yak manages to get into me...

thanks all

Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    I've just done a quick test with my autopilot. A Fw 190-A5 in level flight at 6000m is about 20Km/h TAS slower with the radiators fully open than fully closed. At 110% throttle it overheats rapidly with the radiator fully closed though, it would probably be more sensible to run it half-open.
    Andy, would you mind running your auto pilot pilot program with the same aircraft, throttle 90%, rads closed, prop pitch manuel set to %100 and post the results?

Originally posted by TS_Sancho:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    Andy, would you mind running your auto pilot pilot program with the same aircraft, throttle 90%, rads closed, prop pitch manuel set to %100 and post the results? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sure, won't take long...

Interesting - at 90% throttle, rads closed, 100% pitch it seems to be marginally faster than auto pitch rads open 110% throttle.

All testing was done With a stock Fw 190A-5, on the Smolensk map. Wind and turbulence was off, as was limited fuel - fuel load was 50% (this keeps the fuel load constant throughout the test).

Figures from earlier test (auto prop pitch):

Rads open, 100% throttle 569 Km/h
    Rads open, 110% throttle 600 Km/h
    Rads closed, 100% throttle 590 Km/h
    Rads closed, 110% throttle 623 Km/h

New test:
    prop pitch 100%, rads closed, 90% throttle 606 Km/h

For comparison:
    auto prop pitch, rads closed 90% throttle 584 Km/h

I'm a little unsure about the exactness of these results (the original ones were a bit rushed, as I was only trying to determine differences, rather than absolutes), but they seem to be indicating a trend.

Given the higher RPM with 100% pitch than auto, I'd expect the engine to be running hotter, and fuel consumption to be higher, though I haven't measured either.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►