I'm trying to play SH3 on a desktop HP computer running Windows 7, 64 bit. I get a protection System Error msg : "This application can be launched with a release version of MS Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP/Server 2003 only." Has anyone had any luck running the game under Windows 7, and, if so, would you be so kind as to let me know how it can be done. I am presently running it quite nicely on a Dell laptop under Windows Vista, so I assumed it would also run under Windows 7 w/o problems. It would appear that I was wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, shop and welcome to the forum.

I can't explain why your copy wont run under Win7 but maybed someone with greater knowledge will be along...

I strongly suggest you edit your post and delete your e-mail address. I can be abused by potential spammers etc.

KH

Mittelwaechter's Avatar Senior Member
    Welcome aboard, shopF28F14F7.

Don't install into default path.

Use C:\games\...

If you have a StarForced old DVD version, follow the advice of the first sticky thread here on the board.

I have the original sf stricken unpatched SH3 DVD running on W7HP64 like a charm.

Originally posted by Kielhauler2010:
    Hi, shop and welcome to the forum.

I can't explain why your copy wont run under Win7 but maybed someone with greater knowledge will be along...

I strongly suggest you edit your post and delete your e-mail address. I can be abused by potential spammers etc.

KH
    Thank you for the good advice Kielhauler2010. I removed the email address.

Originally posted by Mittelwaechter:
    Welcome aboard, shopF28F14F7.

Don't install into default path.

Use C:\games\...

If you have a StarForced old DVD version, follow the advice of the first sticky thread here on the board.

I have the original sf stricken unpatched SH3 DVD running on W7HP64 like a charm.
    Thank you Mittelwaechter for the advice. I will try it today. As I mentioned in my original post, I am playing SH3 on a laptop w/the Grey Wolves 3.0 upgrade. Do you know of any reason why the GW 3.0 will not work after removing Starforce?

Are you sure you have a StarForced version?
    If you have a SF version, deinstall the game completely and the starforce drivers

http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvrem.zip

then follow the advice in the first sticky thread here.

Do you have a SH3 DVD? Or is it a downloded version?

What version reads the first ingame screen in the right downward corner on you laptop installation?
    You may need to patch the game to 1.4b to install GWX3.0

Originally posted by Mittelwaechter:
    Are you sure you have a StarForced version?
    If you have a SF version, deinstall the game completely and the starforce drivers

http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvrem.zip

then follow the advice in the first sticky thread here.

Do you have a SH3 DVD? Or is it a downloded version?

What version reads the first ingame screen in the right downward corner on you laptop installation?
    You may need to patch the game to 1.4b to install GWX3.0
    This may take a while, but please bear with me.

LAPTOP:
    To be honest, I'm not sure if it's a StarForced version or not. It's a 2005 DVD I bought new. The main menu says it's Version 1.4.0.1 dated 2/27/2005. It runs a protection tool when I first start it, and then goes right to the Grey Wolves Expansion Gold Edition 3.0 and starts to load. I added the 1.4b patch and Grey Wolves some time ago. The first screen upon loading is the Grey Wolves expansion 3.0. It runs fine on the laptop.

In my "Downloads" folder I have a StarForce driver, detection tool and removal tool. There is no StarForce stuff in the "Games" folder where SH3 resides. This folder is not present in the desktop that I am trying to get to work w/SH3.

DESKTOP:
    One question I have concerns the "5 data sets" referenced in the first sticky thread. All the .dll files are already in the main menu. There is, however, no sh3.exe file there. In fact there are no files in the main menu with an .exe extension, which I find curious. There is one sh3 application file (968 KB) and one sh3.dll application extension file (11,476 KB). I assume one of them is an .exe file. So, why would I buy data sets of the same files already in the main menu and then add them to the main menu? That doesn't make sense.

Also, the StarForce driver, detection tool and removal tool are not pesent on the desktop, which is an HP Pavilion 64 bit w/Windows 7. The program will not load, because the protection system states that it will only run under certain older Windows releases ad not on Windows 7. I checked w/Ubisoft, and they also said that SH3 would not work w/Windows 7.

You said in your earlier post that you run the original unpatched SH3 on the same computer w/Windows 7. Perhaps I should try that...maybe the 1.4b patch and the Grey Wolves expansion are the culprits.

I apologize to you for your having to take the time to try to help me resolve this problem, but I also appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

Here we go...

- uninstall the game completely via deinstallation routine of the game itself or via windows control panel

- remove the starforce drivers with that tool linked above.

- run a registry cleaner - CCleaner for example from Piriform (freeware)

- reboot

- install game into C:\games\... - not into standard path provided by installation routine (do not start the game)

- remove the DVD

- install the 1.4b patch (for your DVD version; US or EMEA)(do not start the game)

- get you those five files - here - first link

- overwrite/replace the old five files in your games root folder with the new downloaded ones

- now you can start the game without DVD and without the starforce drivers installed

- mod to your liking

The five files are modified and replace the old ones to run the game without DVD.
    They - plus the installation into C:\games\ - enable you to play the game on Win7.

Well, I gotta hand it to you. It works. Thank you very much for taking the time.