Due to hardware related problems ("low frame rate" discussion at Comunity help) I have turned to playing Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory instead. Does anyone have an idea when will the Il2 engine be able to display large formations as in BoB2.
    It occoured to me, while reading historical articles and books, that formations depicted in Il2 to PF are highly unrealistic. Look at Pearl Harbour missions for example. In reality there should be hundreds of planes coming in waves. Instead you get a couple of flights above couple of ships and not a full packed dockyard.
    That is probably why AAA is so deadly in these games, because they have so few targets to shoot at.
    I guess today's hardware isn't up to the challenge.
    Don't know how Maddox presumes to recreate the Blitz in BoB with 1000 planes in the air over London + barrage balloons and reflectors.
    Your oppinions on this would be welcome.

AAA is a hughe problem, especially online. But please remember, this engine is based on a design from '99. BoB will be a complete rebuild.

IIRC it was said, that there will be more than 200 a/c involved in combat at a time, presumably more, cause as you allready stated especially bomber-groups usually came in waves.

As to AAA, we can only guess. Let's hope there will be a presentation and dev-updates during and after this years E3.

Only I have heard that the later PF updates that are coming close to BoB are more hardware demanding. If that is true, how can it handle even more planes and stuff?

And also: as I understand it, the BoB is an upgrade of the il2 engine.
    Or is it a complete new engine that will handle more planes and if so, on the expense of what (damage model, plane physics, our wallets due to the need of buying new hardware that will handle the new engine)?

B16Enk's Avatar Senior Member
    BoB:WoV does indeed pull off the large formation trick, however this is done by simplifying the flight model for the AI hordes.

This is particularly noticeable when you see them manoeuvre along way points and in response to attack.

Which I find to be highly unrealistic too.

Trade-offs have to be made, the processing power we have today is impressive but still not without limit!

Good point on the AA

if the AAA is modelled as acurate as the airplanes, then this indeed makes the game harder to play
    and the simplification in BoB2:WoV is indeed noticeable
    just compare shooting holes in a plane in BoB2:WoV and in Il2 games: there simply is no comparison: I perticularly like bits flying of shredded planes in Maddox games

I wonder... Currently each burst of AAA is aimed and fired by a gun on the ground and each gun takes up CPU cycles or whatever as it operates. What if flack bursts or rather, an area of flack bursts could be placed over any area like a recon bubble in FMB. They activate when planes approach that space and spark and bang and hurt you if you fly too close to one as per usual. But they require less cpu time than the type we have now for trying to simulate a barrage.

Something will have to be done for BoB, otherwise the game won't run on PCs from 2009, let alone 2007 or 2006.
    Something will have to be done in order to relieve the CPU since more aircraft will be in the air.

Originally posted by minb:
    just compare shooting holes in a plane in BoB2:WoV and in Il2 games: there simply is no comparison: I perticularly like bits flying of shredded planes in Maddox games

..... shredded bits of airframe go back a long way - IIRC, LucasArts featured it in TFH, SWOTL, etc.

Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
    I wonder... Currently each burst of AAA is aimed and fired by a gun on the ground and each gun takes up CPU cycles or whatever as it operates. What if flack bursts or rather, an area of flack bursts could be placed over any area like a recon bubble in FMB. They activate when planes approach that space and spark and bang and hurt you if you fly too close to one as per usual. But they require less cpu time than the type we have now for trying to simulate a barrage.

..... Give that man a cigar. Brilliant idea, at least for the heavy AA. Same system could be used to portray anything from a single gun all the way up to a complete box barrage.

This idea ought to be immediately directed to the proper authorities.