Originally posted by mikkelgro:

Wulfgar, did you happen to figure this out by any chance? I'm trying now too, but using the createEntity or placeEntity scenario triggers don't seem to do anything. I have all kinds of fancy setup with subroutines/functions, conditions and you name it that makes it all work like object-oriented coding, but no units are ever placed on the map. I've bug tested it by using displayText's, which tell me that events are triggered, so I know the trigger setup is not dead wrong. Any more luck with you?

Cheers!
    Sorry Mikkelgro, I have been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to play around with it. Sounds like you have possibly made more progress than me. If you download my map 'The Great Canyon' from maps4heroes.com and take a look at how I got armies to appear on the first week of the game, it may give you some idea's about getting the creatures to appear, but I think this could be a very difficult thing to achieve with the tools we have. Let me know if you make any progress.

A small trigger question for either Nemaaa or anyone else who may know: I need a trigger for adding/subtracting/multiplying the value of a numeric variable. The only thing remotely close to this that I've found is in the _obsolet (which I presume stands for obsolete) under Advanced called ModifyNumericVariable. It has a choice between add or multiply and I was certain this was exactly what I'm looking for. However, my set numeric variable doesn't seem to get modified. Querying it using a Scenario_if with a compare condition, a '==' and comparing the variable with a varNumeric number doesn't trigger/start the pAction it's supposed to (a simple displayText).

What I'm trying to achieve is a pAction to happen when 14 days have passed. The only way I found to do this was by creating a numeric variable, increasing its value by one for each new turn, and testing its value with a Scenario_if and compare. No success. Anyone with a better solution?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Wulfgar1978:
    Sorry Mikkelgro, I have been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to play around with it. Sounds like you have possibly made more progress than me. If you download my map 'The Great Canyon' from maps4heroes.com and take a look at how I got armies to appear on the first week of the game, it may give you some idea's about getting the creatures to appear, but I think this could be a very difficult thing to achieve with the tools we have. Let me know if you make any progress.
    Well, it seems like the placeEntity with a createEntity (i.e. a goblin) as the eid doesn't do crap. In fact, I have no idea what this placeEntity trigger is supposed to do at all, as it has x and y coordinates, height and facing parameters as options. I'd just presume this means placing whatever one desires anywhere on the map. But it does amazingly little. Less than the diving attack damage of an upgraded griffin. So I'm stuck until anyone like Nemaaa or similar can gleam some light on this.

Map Editor. I have a few questions (so far).

1. I have these pink areas that are impassable (Too Big Lean). What is it? and how do I get rid of it?

2. I can't get my subterranean gates to work. How do I link them? I tried linking them, but they only show their own coordinates.

Originally posted by taylorplus:

1. I have these pink areas that are impassable (Too Big Lean). What is it? and how do I get rid of it?

2. I can't get my subterranean gates to work. How do I link them? I tried linking them, but they only show their own coordinates.
    Hi Taylorplus. The pink area's are impassable terrain, whether it be because of too big a lean or an object causing it. To my knowledge it cannot be erased. If it is because of too big a lean, you can flatten it out a bit with the smooth tool to make it walkable.

To link your gates of any kind, select the gate then right click on it. Down the bottom of the properties box is a link option. Click on this and it will return you to your map. Locate the gate you wish to link it to and click on it. Your gates are then linked. Hope this helps.

Thanks! That helped a lot. I have one more question... I was messing about with the "Squared Visibility" option. Now I have a black hole that I can't fill or get rid of. Any suggestions?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by taylorplus:

Hi Taylorplus. The pink area's are impassable terrain, whether it be because of too big a lean or an object causing it. To my knowledge it cannot be erased. If it is because of too big a lean, you can flatten it out a bit with the smooth tool to make it walkable.

To link your gates of any kind, select the gate then right click on it. Down the bottom of the properties box is a link option. Click on this and it will return you to your map. Locate the gate you wish to link it to and click on it. Your gates are then linked. Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by taylorplus:
    Thanks! That helped a lot. I have one more question... I was messing about with the "Squared Visibility" option. Now I have a black hole that I can't fill or get rid of. Any suggestions?
    You can unhide a square by holding down shift while clicking on it when using the square visibility tool.

...By watching the fallout of this map, I'm trying to modify the behaviour of the Skirmish_AI, by some rules. The two main things I wish to improve are:
    1) Its courage or bravery, as in what degree it decides to flee or not attack an enemy. Can I use an AI trigger rule that attacks enemies at 0% army power percentage difference, or is this rule only for Triggered_AI? (it's hard to tell from the given documentation/guides)

2) How it calculates the move distance of the enemies. At this point is seems like it psychically manages to pinpoint the exact number of squares the enemies can move in their turn, so that the AI positions itself accordingly, thus always (or at least most of the time) keeps in safe distance from being reached. Is there an AI trigger rule that can modify this behaviour for the Skirmish_AI?
    The way the Skirmish AI works cannot be modified with triggers. You can indirectly control it for example by disabling its buildings and enabling them later or by giving/taking resources or creatures, but you cannot make it braver for example.
    The safe distance is used mostly by the Triggered AI when it is much weaker than the player. The AI does not always pick logistics or pathfinding so they are worthy to pick to chase it down, not to mention the +movement boots.

I have another question Nemaaa : In heroes 5 you could link more than one portal together meaning that you would come out of a random portal. Is this possible in heroes 6 to interconnect 3 or more portals?
    Only the whirlpools work as you described. For example if you have 3 whirlpools with identical “Group name” properties, entering “whirlpool A” will result in exiting either “whirlpool B” or “whirlpool C” randomly. Alternatively, you can use the “Scenario_CreateTeleportLink” action to change the links (e.g.: A<->B + C<->D to A<->C + B<->D), but of course this will not be the perfect solution.
    Tip: Multiple one way entrances can be linked to the same one way exit.

Wulfgar, did you happen to figure this out by any chance? I'm trying now too, but using the createEntity or placeEntity scenario triggers don't seem to do anything. I have all kinds of fancy setup with subroutines/functions, conditions and you name it that makes it all work like object-oriented coding, but no units are ever placed on the map. I've bug tested it by using displayText's, which tell me that events are triggered, so I know the trigger setup is not dead wrong. Any more luck with you?
    With CreateEntity, you can create new entities and save them to EntityVariables. With PlaceEntity you can place an already existing entity to another location. This entity can be anything on the map or any EntityVariable. I made a map that creates a ghoul into one of the three locations randomly, and then places it to one of another three locations randomly. See the picture for more info:
    Picture of triggering
    Both Randomize1 and Randomize2 has 3 “If” branches, dealing with each case (rnd == 1, rnd == 2, rnd == 3) creating or placing the ghoul to the appropriate place. Trigger “Randomize1” is started by trigger “Step1” (when the hero enters “loc1”) and trigger “Randomize2” is started by trigger “Step2” (when the hero enters “loc2”).
    You can download the map as well, if you wish:
    Download the .scn

A small trigger question for either Nemaaa or anyone else who may know: I need a trigger for adding/subtracting/multiplying the value of a numeric variable. The only thing remotely close to this that I've found is in the _obsolet (which I presume stands for obsolete) under Advanced called ModifyNumericVariable. It has a choice between add or multiply and I was certain this was exactly what I'm looking for. However, my set numeric variable doesn't seem to get modified. Querying it using a Scenario_if with a compare condition, a '==' and comparing the variable with a varNumeric number doesn't trigger/start the pAction it's supposed to (a simple displayText).

What I'm trying to achieve is a pAction to happen when 14 days have passed. The only way I found to do this was by creating a numeric variable, increasing its value by one for each new turn, and testing its value with a Scenario_if and compare. No success. Anyone with a better solution?

Thanks.
    You can use the _Obsolet/Condition/Compare function. You can use it for three things:
    -Compare (e.g.: if X is greater than or equal to Y)
    -Add/Subtract/Multiply/Division (e.g.: add X to Y)
    -And/Or logical operations (e.g.: if X is greater than Y and A is equal to B)
    Here are three examples:
    Compare:

Add:

Or (This is actually 3 compare functions):

But there is an easier way to delay something for 14 days: Use the RestartTrigger function with 14 days delay to activate another trigger that has no conditions and make sure that trigger is turned off (InitiallyOn = false). The example map I linked above has this RestartTrigger function, but it’s Delay parameter is set to 0. If you change it to 14 for example, then the trigger will be restarted (turned on) 14 days later.

To be more exact, the pink areas are too big leans that cannot be passed. You need to flatten the area. Dark reddish squares are blocked by other entities, but this can be turned off by selecting the entity, pressing enter (opening the property window) and turning its Allocation parameter off.

I don't know strong enough superlatives to express my gratitude Nemaaa. I especially appreciate the illustrating images you included. Thank you!

One thing about the map editor that feels really complicated (albeit may not actually be) is the cutscene editor. I'd love to create my own cutscenes for a map, and since I have quite some experience from vfx industry trenches, I'd figure I'd be able to animate some nifty machinima with sweet cam moves. But I have no clue where to even begin with this part of the editor. Has anyone fiddled around with cutscenes at all?