As recommended by moderator Sorceresss who locked my thread and suggested reposting here, here goes a post about the "Old friends" map from HOMM 5.

Many thanks in advance to anyone reading/acknowledging/giving feedback and hopefully making the map! (since it's a small and simple map, could be a good start to map editor users!)

Cheers!

"Hello,

I am a long time HOMM fan, since heroes 2 actually, and although many think that HOMM 5 wasn't the best one (i.e. compared to HOMM 3), I actually had a great time playing it for a long time on hot seat with a friend, or solo, on an official map which was called "Old friends" (which is my guess, I unfortunately had the french version of the game, and it was called "Anciens amis"). It was the only map which was small enough to play it once or twice on the course of an evening, with an old friend of mine, and those were all great times which I wish to reexperiment with HOMM 6. The problem is, this map, or anything coming close to it, isn't available in HOMM6 as of now.

It was a simple map, for 4 players, each starting on an island with every different mines on it, an observatory and one or two goodies different from an island to the other (i.e. leveling tree, buried artifacts, dwarven ressource mine etc.). Each island had a bridge to a central island with all the great stuff there, for which the players were battling for domination over it's resources. Ultimate unit buildings, super artifacts, a dragon nest with great loot but a tough battle, and so on. There was very little underground, just minor stuff on starting islands, which often wasn't worth visiting. You get the picture.

I described the map because, missing it, I launched the map editor of HOMM 6 to see if I could recreate it or something close to it, but I'm ashamed to admit it's far too complicated, contrary to what I imagined. So there you are, whether it be Ubisoft or anyone with the skills and will to recreate this, in my opinion, great map, I'm begging you to recreate it for HOMM 6 and make it available for download, or throw it in a patch, whatever.

This map represented 90% of my interest in this game and it would really mean a lot to me having a shot at playing it with this game, which is a great one, too; rather than going back to HOMM 5 which would really be a shame.

I can only hope that I am not the only person with this feeling/issue and enjoyment of said map and that we will see this map or a similar one in a near future.

Thank you for your time,

A dedicated HOMM fan."

Others out there who have tried using the map editor, please tell me if I'm missing something. I have tried several times to follow the directions in the Quick Start Guide precisely, and I find that about half the things it says are just flat wrong. Examples:

1) Page 4: "The basic tool is the Raise/Lower tool. Once selected, you can left-click to raise the terrain and right-click to lower it." Wrong. Terrain relief is applied by painting a shape and then dragging a double-arrow mouse cursor up or down.

2) Page 12: "One of the parameters is Start Camera. By default it is set “On Avatar” (which means the camera will be centered on the main hero when the game starts)." Wrong. The default is Map Location.

3) Page 15: (regarding the Brush Tool) "it might be a good idea to check the Random Facing and Random Scale boxes to add some variety" Wrong. There are no Random Facing and Random Scale boxes near the Brush Tool -- and I can't find them anywhere else, either.

So tell me, which is mostly broken -- me, the Guide, or the editor?

1) Page 4: "The basic tool is the Raise/Lower tool. Once selected, you can left-click to raise the terrain and right-click to lower it." Wrong. Terrain relief is applied by painting a shape and then dragging a double-arrow mouse cursor up or down.
    You can go about it both ways. I don't have the editor in front of me right now, but when I use it I mix the two methods. Sometimes I select the area I wish to raise or lower by highlighting it red, then use the up/down arrow or I click the Raise/Lower button (there's one button you can have pressed (or selected) for each of the terrain relief paint modes like raise, level, smooth etc) and then use left mouse button for raise and right for lower. Works like a charm, try it.

2) Page 12: "One of the parameters is Start Camera. By default it is set “On Avatar” (which means the camera will be centered on the main hero when the game starts)." Wrong. The default is Map Location.
    Yes. It's a typo. It happens.

3) Page 15: (regarding the Brush Tool) "it might be a good idea to check the Random Facing and Random Scale boxes to add some variety" Wrong. There are no Random Facing and Random Scale boxes near the Brush Tool -- and I can't find them anywhere else, either.
    Not sure why you can't see those two random facing options/buttons. They are settings for the range of random variation for each. I.e. the random facing (or rotation) can be set to f.ex. range between 0 and 180 degrees, and scaling f.ex. 50% and 120%. I mostly use those, but sometimes there are situations you'd want items always in 100% scale like creature and hero units, and I also prefer tows in 100% scale.

But yes, you are right in that the guides have typos. I also saw some others that you omitted, but I'm just assuming these were hacked together in a rush due to us howling for them here. Yes, they should've been done and properly prior to release, along with the actual complete docs but alas they were not.

I can only hope that I am not the only person with this feeling/issue and enjoyment of said map and that we will see this map or a similar one in a near future.
    @nowgdaow, hmm perhaps this is a better idea than to continue on the map I'm currently tinkering with? I haven't gotten very far on it anyway so I'll take a gander at the Old Friends one you mention from H5 and see how far I get with it. I gather it doesn't have any fancy victory conditions other than to remain the last hero on the map?

hey Mikkelgro!

It would be great if you could make it! It's rather small and simple so shouldn't be too much of a hassle, and frankly you can just forget about the undergrounds which were +/- useless, as I guess making them is worth valuable time.

It's a classic map so no, simple triggers from the tutorial will do. I read it and started it out, but the editor crashed after hours of slow and unefficient work, so I just gave up... If you already have some exp with it, shouldn't be the hardest map to make!

I'll keep coming back often, thanks a lot if you do find the will to make it, and do not hesitate if you have any questions whatsoever!

Cheers

Thanks Mikkelgro, that is helpful and it is encouraging that a few out there seem to be working with the editor productively. I don't know if I have the patience to keep banging my head against it until proper documentation is released, but I love making and playing Heroes maps and I don't plan to give up easily.

Originally posted by mikkelgro:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) Page 4: "The basic tool is the Raise/Lower tool. Once selected, you can left-click to raise the terrain and right-click to lower it." Wrong. Terrain relief is applied by painting a shape and then dragging a double-arrow mouse cursor up or down.
    You can go about it both ways. I don't have the editor in front of me right now, but when I use it I mix the two methods. Sometimes I select the area I wish to raise or lower by highlighting it red, then use the up/down arrow or I click the Raise/Lower button (there's one button you can have pressed (or selected) for each of the terrain relief paint modes like raise, level, smooth etc) and then use left mouse button for raise and right for lower. Works like a charm, try it.

Yes. It's a typo. It happens.

Not sure why you can't see those two random facing options/buttons. They are settings for the range of random variation for each. I.e. the random facing (or rotation) can be set to f.ex. range between 0 and 180 degrees, and scaling f.ex. 50% and 120%. I mostly use those, but sometimes there are situations you'd want items always in 100% scale like creature and hero units, and I also prefer tows in 100% scale.

But yes, you are right in that the guides have typos. I also saw some others that you omitted, but I'm just assuming these were hacked together in a rush due to us howling for them here. Yes, they should've been done and properly prior to release, along with the actual complete docs but alas they were not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greetings, mapmakers!

I haven't delved deep into the new editor but I can see right away that we're better off than with Heroes5. I'm also pleased to see some guides appearing. I'm hoping for a full set by the time I get serious. First, though, I'm going to enjoy playing the game without knowing exactly how it works and maybe get a player's perspective on things. I know that to produce the kind of maps I like, I'm going to need to be able to modify the behavior of the AI, so I'll need to learn what makes it tick.

Finally, does anyone know whether Ubi or someone is planning a Mapmaker Guild, where we can post maps in progress for assistance or review?

Cheers!

hi, can anyone help, i want to know if you can edit any of the maps already on the game? thanks alot =)

Originally posted by JimYourSoShibby:
    hi, can anyone help, i want to know if you can edit any of the maps already on the game? thanks alot =)
    Yes you can, you have to download a tool to convert the .orc archives with the maps to a .zip so you can open it. Look in one of the previous pages of this thread where I explained how to get this tool and what to do.

Sorceresss's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by molinaro :

There's a bunch of .orc files in the main program directory. That's a file compression extension, like .zip or .rar

So, google up yourself a copy of orc2zip.

Put the file data2.orc in your scenario folder along with a the orc2zip program. From a cmd prompt in that folder type: orc2zip data2.orc

And it will create data2.rar

Now use winrar to unpack that and you will have all the scenarios and all the campaign maps available to load in the editor.
    Originally posted by mikkelgro (on another website) :

For anyone interested in having the scenarios that came with the release of Heroes VI available for reference and inspiration, not to mention figuring out how those event triggers work, get the orc2zip utility from this link :

http://www.multiupload.com/NL011UXGU0.

I've tried it and it works great. Now, there are several Datax.orc files and the one containing all the scenarios is Data2.orc. I did not get any virus warnings with this file, with both Adaware and AVG running in the background.