On a side note, I was surprised with the random monsters that could be inserted by the map editor. When I planted one of these, fixed the Tiers allowed and tested the map, no creatures were put in the stacks, simply because the defeault army power is set to 0 in both min. and max. values.

Is this army power value a new system of measuring how many units there should be in each stack? If it's something new, I might try and make a collection of data to convert army power into unit counts, but if it's an already known system, I won't bother.

KingImp's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Marzhin93:
    The second guide deals with quests (among other things) and will be posted later today.
    How about one that focuses more on the basic stuff? That first one only scratched the surface and there are still tons of basic stuff that are impossible to figure out.

Seriously, remember that we are not all you Marzhin and we don't understand this complexity.

Marzhin93's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by KingImp:
    How about one that focuses more on the basic stuff? That first one only scratched the surface and there are still tons of basic stuff that are impossible to figure out.
    Well I'll continue to do guides in the coming weeks so if there are specific things you want to see explained, don't hesitate to share your suggestions

edit : the second guide is up

Well, here's one specifically that I've asked and no one seems to be able to answer.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set it so when I place a specific faction's town, it only allows that faction and it's heroes to be used. When I start the game, it's allowing me to choose any type of hero when it should only be letting me use the heroes of the faction I placed. You've played the series long enough, so you know that this is how it's always been.

The whole build a tavern and choose them that way solution is no good as you cannot gain reputation on a hero you have hired either.

Either it is just me, or that guide is the old one. It sent me to download your version 1.0 from oct. 18th

Originally posted by kirstgod:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marzhin93:
    Either it is just me, or that guide is the old one. It sent me to download your version 1.0 from oct. 18th </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been using the map editor for two years now and I have encountered only one crash in all that time, so it's unfortunate you suffer from those repeated glitches. Probably there's some conflict with your PC itself. Can you tell me what is your config?
    Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit service pack 1
    i7 930 @ 2.8 ghz
    6GB DDR3 @ 1500mhz
    2 x GTX480 video
    300 Gig 10000rpm Barracuda drive (110 gig free)

The only crashes I get are when saving and the progress bar is always at the same spot, about 20% complete. That's the same place it pauses for 2s when it saves successfully without a crash.

The debug file that gets created in the folder where I'm saving contains just 1 thing: C0000000005

Thanks for any help you can give.

That's the 1st guide again. Nothing new.

Marzhin93's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marzhin93:
    Either it is just me, or that guide is the old one. It sent me to download your version 1.0 from oct. 18th </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, wrong link. Here is the correct one: http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/gam...lling_Guide_v1.0.pdf

@KingImp and molinaro: I'm waiting for some answers from BH.

edit: So I got some answers and currently there is no way to limit a Factionhero to a certain faction.

Is this army power value a new system of measuring how many units there should be in each stack? If it's something new, I might try and make a collection of data to convert army power into unit counts, but if it's an already known system, I won't bother.
    I decided to give this a go and investigate this system. I collected the following data.

Like I said, if this system is well known to people, just forget about it, but it was new to me and quite refreshing. One result that seemed puzzling to me was that no round up corrections were made at all (see the datafile).

I found something interesting: there seemed to be a linear relation between army value and the evaluated difficulty reported by the game (the trivial --> deadly reports when right clicking monsters). I tested a wide range of army values and found a linear relationship between the army value size of the monster compared to the heros and the reported difficulty. These intervals are collected in the file as well, but they are just observations out of raw army value - I have no idea if hero level has something to do with it yet, or if any other factors are included.

I know this info is mostly related to map balancing rather than the principle map building, but it might be useful to some.

- - -

EDIT: I tested with varying hero lvl, the difficulty appearently also depends on this factor, I'll collect some new data.
    The results shown in the file above is for the Haven hero Jorgen at lvl 1.

EDIT2: Quickly tested the heros attributes on the difficulty evaluation; even multiplying the heros might ATP and DEF by 1000 didn't change the difficulty report (and hilariously, fighthing a bunch of monsters with 3000 defense resulted in my units taking 0 damage...)

EDIT3: I tested with a few different heroes and appearently the reported difficulty depends on either the hero type or the specific hero - I should've known it wouln't be so damn simple After a few tests for Haven Heroes, it appears that it depends on the hero type (knight, vindicator, inquisitor, etc.) with only one exception of the hero Laurielle. I'll get some more work done on this another day.