so ok I am playing online at now but i seems whenever i get up or get in to fight i alwas find myself wirh soone on my six who maages to take em out ican't out turn them and don't know how to shake them. I have tryed diving turning spining I just can't seem to get rid of a take and aleays witht file get shot down within about 5 mis can ayone give me a few good combat manover that ican use to:
    1. get rid of the tale
    or
    2. get on the tale of the guy that was taleing me

so ok I am playing online at now but i seems whenever i get up or get in to fight i alwas find myself wirh soone on my six who maages to take em out ican't out turn them and don't know how to shake them. I have tryed diving turning spining I just can't seem to get rid of a take and aleays witht file get shot down within about 5 mis can ayone give me a few good combat manover that ican use to:
    1. get rid of the tale
    or
    2. get on the tale of the guy that was taleing me

skarden's Avatar Senior Member
    A very very deep subject with tonnes of factors that needed to be understood and applied.

I highly recommend reading this PDF "In Pursuit"

In Pursuit

you certainly don't have to read it all but chapters in it deals directly with stuff you wanted to know and a hell of a lot more,great reading for any online pilot wishing to be more then target practice for the other pilots on the other side,I even printed it out to make the most out of it.
    Very comprehensive

Bankoletti's Avatar Banned
    Knowledge.

Know your airplane and its capabilities. Know the enemy plane and its capabilities.

Then do something where your plane is better than his.

Example: When jumped by a spit in a Fw-190, dive and run - for your plane is faster than his in level run and has a higher break up speed. Do not try to outclimb or outturn him, and keep maneouvering at minimum since his superior energy retention during turns only helps him, not you during maneouvering.

Also consider joining on some good squadron and see how online flying can be totally something else than quicly rushing to The Furball.

I wish I experienced a good organized and planned online war campaign with a good squadron instead of soloing in those chaotic nonsense dog fightning servers, when I bought this game.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    There are two basic types of fighter pilots on a dogfight server:

Type 1 - Takes off and flies directly for the closest fight. See's an enemy plane and chases after it until it's dead or he's been shot down. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

Type 2 - Takes off, assess the likely battle situation and climbs for position. Once in position said pilot will fly towards the battle and circle the outside looking for the best target. This type is also more likely to pair up with a like minded pilot and make team diving passes on targets. When confronted with an opponent of superior height or speed they will often dive for safety or attempt to bring down the relative energy state of their opponent.

You want to be type 2... but most pilots will find themselves being type 1 sometimes.

Hmm, I will have to keep that in mind. At least free dogfightning servers could be better training than offline for planned online wars.

AI have difficulty following complex moves. Try a bit of rudder as you pull to one side. Vary the amount too.

K_Freddie's Avatar Senior Member
    In a sticky situation all you need is IMAGINATION... without it you're swiss-cheese?

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doogerie:
    1. get rid of the tale
    or
    2. get on the tale of the guy that was taleing me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are no tricks..
    Practice.. practice flying.. not just fighting and pushing the plane as far as you can.. Try to practice things like keeping your plane at a certain speed through out several maneuvers.. practice loops and rolls.. practice controlled stalls.. ver hard in this sim actually as there is no feel...

In Pursuit is a good place to start..

Other than that consider that there are people here who have been flying this sim online in every incarnation from the original IL2 to this and modded.. for almost 10 years..