dieg777's Avatar Senior Member
    I dont think you can entirely fault ati - did your monitor come with a driver disc ? if so check if there is a calibration program on it - my viewsonic came with perfectsuite.

if not try using this

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/calibration.htm

I have used ati and nvidea and the only difference I found was that nvidea was a bit brighter and cleaner.

with my current ati card the only adjustment I made to the display after calibration was to lower the gamma very slightly

-HH-Quazi's Avatar Senior Member
    Hey Dave m8. Sure, I have the monitors drivers installed. If you could see how washed out the colors are on my monitor, and then look at it (if I were running an nV card) with nV's color saturation cranked up, you would akin it to a new LCD. And since it is a software aspect of their (nV's) Forceware drivers that improves the colors that much on my CRT that makes me akin it to an LCD, I just don't see why ATI couldn't allow their color saturation setting to affect a monitors colors the same way.

Since making the switch back to ATI there are two things that I know nV does better than ATI (of course this is my opinion only here). One is of course this color saturation setting we have been talking about. And this really only affects m8s like myself & Papa that are running older monitors with colors so washed out they are screaming "I'm Melting", hehe. The other is Anti-Aliasing. Up till the Cat 7.5's, nV's AA was so much better than ATI to me. But with these newer 7.6 Cats, ATI's AA is looking much, much better. Of course that is my eyes on my CRT.

Those are the only two things for myself anyway. Nothing that would make me want to make the switch back be sure.

Ok, ok, I'll have that cheese with my wine now.

dieg777's Avatar Senior Member
    yeah the latest cats are the best yet - I can really pick out the dots now - I just want the 5 fps I lost back and then Ill be happy.

we all probably spend too much time staring at the screen so its worth while getting decent hardware in the first place and then setting it up right

PapaG39's Avatar Senior Member
    Hmmm.. I can't seem to calibrate my monitor anymore. For one thing one side of the gray scale bar won't even show up & the other side only shows up about two inches from the bottom. I tried running the calibration all the way through anyway, but It didn't really help.

I finely got it adjusted fairly well though.

My viewsonic has three brightness settings,
    Normal text/spreadsheet which is fine for its intended use.
    Ultrabrite 3x: Graphics/Game...which is just a bit dark in some areas & water is black, However when I fly over water I can go to the next setting of: Ultrabrite4x:Video/Movie/DVD
    which makes the water fine, but the rest of the sky & ground are washed out..Clouds are like little suns shining at me...

anyway, I am just going to have to save a few bucks out of my social security each monlth & perhaps by Christmas I can get that Samsung 226BW. By then maybe Olegs Bob will be out and more then likely it will support the wide screen, so the timing should be just about right...

Even with the brightness & contrash at 100% I have to much black in the game.

I have been running my monitor at 1280 X 960 X 85 because il2 supports that setting (il2 won't run on 1280 X 1024 for me, so I guess that setting isn't supported...

-HH-Quazi's Avatar Senior Member
    Until then Papa, you could probably go to your local Mom-n-Pops computer shop & pick up an old CRT for $30. I know I have a Mom-n-Pops computer shop that has those kinda deals. I know SS doesn't pay much from personal experience. If mine ever gets so bad I can't deal with it any longer, I believe I could fudge $30 out of it. Just a thought m8.

PapaG39's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah, that is an idea, however it is fine at this time. In the future though, if it looses anymore of the brightness then I will be looking at something like that. I'm just hoping that it will "hang-in-there" until Christmas. If I didn't have a wife I would have it today...however...lol

It will give me more time to look at other monitor types also.

There are a lot of people who have posted much more positive then negative about this monitor. The worst negative seems to be light bleeding or a washed out pic.
    I am wondering if that is taken care of via proper ati/nvidia drivers, plus calibrating the monitor...

Page 4 of 4 ◄◄  First ... 234