PapaG39's Avatar Senior Member
    Well, I have installed this thing, but for the life of me, I can not find anything that even eludes to calibrate colors. I can't even find the word "gamma" in the index or help/\.

What word am I looking for here?

These are the settings I normally use:

And these setting I use for very dark games (like Morrowind):

Notice that the only difference is the gamma correction. You might want to experiment a bit with that. I do have colour settings on my monitor, so there's no need for me to correct the colours in CCC. I can't help you with the Adobe calibration stuff. I'm wondering if it will work for full 3D though...

-HH-Quazi's Avatar Senior Member
    Thanks Pigeon. Those settings really helped the way my game looks. Now if I could make the greens greener and the blues bluer I would be very happy. I wished this Avivo saturation worked like the Digital Vibrance settings with the nVidia Forceware drivers. That is one feature I really miss. A new LCD is what I really need. But finances won't allow me to splurge. I hate messing around with the color settings on my monitor. I can never achieve a good balance. But maybe by using your settings above, which really helped, I will be able to make a good adjustment & get the greens greener & the blues bluer.

Yeah, like HH QUAZI I have problems with the green & blue settings.
    I have noticed that when I do get the green grass area to be a rich green then I am able to see aircraft and ground targets much better. The problem is that when I get the rich green then the water is pitch black & it's like night looking down & bright sunlight looking up. really weird...

I can't get a new monitor at this time either.. To many other areas have $$$ priority at this time & for several months to come...lol..

My viewsonic is about 3 years old & does have good colors, if I could figure out how to obtain them...lol..

gamma seems to: lower numbers get very dark and higher the number gets very washed out.

Brightness seems to be the black wh;ite setting, but getting in sinc with the gamma has been a problem.

Contrast, being the third one to set has me stumped. Getting the correct combination between the three is just hit & miss..and I am always missing!

My monitor only has two, the brightness & contrast settings so it really doesnt do me any good. I think the settings between the monitor & CCC may be getting confused between each other...
    Its just a big mystery to me...

-HH-Quazi's Avatar Senior Member
    Yea PaPa, seems like you & I are in the same boat. When I get the green greener, the water gets dark. When I get the blue bluer, the grass looks a bit bluer. Nutz!

Now when I was running nVidia cards, their Forceware drivers has a setting called Digital Vibrance and man, moving that slider all the way to the right made my CRT look like it had the detail and clarity of an LCD. Greens & blues where totally off the hook. I wish ATI would do something similar.

Yeah, I hear you... I installed something called "QuickGamma" and found that on the grayscale I could NOT do what the help file was saying to do.
    it has an A & B gray scale bar that I couldn't get to show up as they prescribed. With my monitor brightness up all the way I couldn't get the "A" side to even show up, so apparently my black & white control is not putting out as it did when the monitor was new.
    That may well be my problem..."old monitor" lol.. bummer..

I want to get that Samsung 226BW, but I can't get anyone who actually has one to advise whether or not il2 plays well on it.

Some guys have said that the game was cropped badly using the wide screen monitor and no one has really said anything positive...so, I just don't know.. I don't want to spend $ on something that I'll just have more problems with.

Blue grass?? You guys should stay off the <STRIKE>LCD</STRIKE> LSD!

:P

Don't blmae CRT! My father just bought a huge Thinkvision and it's way better than any LCD screen I've seen, or any other screen for that matter... It's just so sharp and vibrant!

Anyway, don't set your monitor's brightness to 100%. Do set contrast to 100%, but set brightness to 60% or so, depending on the "natural" darkness of your monitor. Then use the CCC to brighten up your screen. Your montor will last (even) longer that way.

I don't know about digital vibrance, sometimes I loved it, sometimes I hated it. It's really bad when viewing photographs, but it's very nice for gaming...

It's always hard to set up your monitor perfectly. I struggled with the 3 settings a lot (gamma/brightness/contrast). I think it's best to keep contrast on 100 and use the gamma slider to brighten the screen. If the colours look too washed out, but the brightness is good, move the slider back a bit and add some brightness. I don't know if this makes sense, but it usually works for me...

MaxMhz's Avatar Senior Member
    To get a good Gamma set, be carefull not to overdo things. The QuickGamma utility should do fine. If you can't get the blackpoint to show correct, try it in a dark room. I agree with you Adobe (and Corel too for that matter) are starting to annoy people to the point where they will no longer even consider trying their software. It's the negative side of overzealous software protection.

Samsung monitors are quite good. Keep in mind on an LCD it's best to run in native resolution. Can your system handle the 1680 x1050 resolution of the 226BW? In that case it should be a fine choice. Do make sure to test the screen for 'dead' or 'stuck' pixels. The free Nokia Monitor test (google) at Softpedia is a great utility to test Make sure to get a RMA guarantee if you have dead/stuck pixels - they get very annoying in a short time.

On my monitor I do run contrast at 100% & brightness about 60%. Then I have been using the CCC to try & adjust for il2. can't get away from the overly white clouds & black water though.

I did try the gamma tool in a dark room, but my monitor still would not bring out the gray bar in the black setting.. it's just black...

I do have the ati X1900XT graphics card though.
    I am surprised that ati has not put together a good utility for color calibrating. On their website they don't even (that I can find) have a step by step for adjusting colors with their CCC.
    Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place, but ati's tech support doesn't seem to be anything that they could be proud of...