Its a b*tch to fly if ya dont know how, but once you tame it its awesome.
    Ive only just started flying the Tempest but once i learnt the prop pitch, trim and wep ( thanks icefire ) it really is a great plane. Even more so when you have a buddy to fly with in the same plane
    gotta love the guns on it when they hit convergance ( cept for dam yaks )
    ive found the only problems are the sluggish control at low speeds and the temperamental engine.

IF you have lots of alt and speed and a wingman it really does do great

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah I have to agree. Shes one of the planes I go 'Ohhh Yeees' when I see a map come up with it on.

Used in the right way shes a fine bird.

I like to use a few Tempest pilots togther at the start of a map, to subdue the flak ready for the bombers to come in and finish the job on online mini-war maps.
    They are like the P38 in this respect, that they carry a good load, but can stick around over the target and cover the bombers after you have bombed.

You can either go with the P38 for a bit more ordanance (you can carry rockets too) or the Tempest for a bit less bombage, but better firepower with her 4x20mm.

Great plane, hope to fly her online sometime with you Sith.

I too am a member of the Tempest fanclub.
    With a convergence of 500 it's a mean sniper machine.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm naturally a fan of the Tempest club

I'm so pleased with the aircraft and how its modeled. Pingu sent me some excerpts from a test pilot report and the in-game version matches the report almost exactly...right down to the trim changes and the bit of wallowing around when you stall it.

I love flying the aircraft alot more than I thought I would. Glad others enjoy it!

Originally posted by Siwarrior:
    Ive only just started flying the Tempest but once i learnt the prop pitch, trim and wep ( thanks icefire ) it really is a great plane. Even more so when you have a buddy to fly with in the same plane
    ive found the only problems are the sluggish control at low speeds and the temperamental engine.

HMMM how do the rest of us find out how to fly it?? I tried the Tempest campaign and had a B**CH of a time with it...

Originally posted by claypidgon:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Siwarrior:

HMMM how do the rest of us find out how to fly it?? I tried the Tempest campaign and had a B**CH of a time with it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Time! Time and some experience with similar aircraft like the F4U Corsair or the P-47 Thunderbolt or the FW190.

Boom and zoom is the method you should use...don't let the good initial turn fool you into thinking its a sustained turn fighter.

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    what is correct prop pitch at what alts ect?

I love flying it too and find that it is an awesome B&Z plane. The only downsides are the rearward view and the overheat with boost too quick.

I have found that the real trick to flying this bird is to attain your desired altitude BEFORE you head towards your target area so you can cruise with radiators open, prop pitch lowered and throttled back. Engage your opponent at full speed/WEP and disengage and repeat. I just have to be a little more patient and not get caught in prolonged dogfights. Most planes I climb as I head toward the target area....just gotta be a bit more patient and manage the engine temp.

Originally posted by fordfan25:
    what is correct prop pitch at what alts ect?
    Prop pitch and alt isn't really a consideration in the Tempest. What you're more concerned about is the engine temperature and the RPM's. The Tempest has a CSP device on the engine so pitch controls are automatic. You want to keep the RPM's down a bit to reduce the temperature while running on WEP.

SO...if you want to cruise or sustain a fight, use 70% pitch (reduced RPMs) with WEP on at any throttle. This gives you slightly better than 110% without WEP. But the beauty of this is that if you need a bit more power...take her upto 85% or 90% to get that little kick and chase after whoever you need to. Then reduce back to 70% to cool off a bit.

Radiator controls are still required to keep the engine cool but this gives you some flexibility.

I still haven't figured out what the best altitude for switching supercharger stages is at but its roughly at 3000m and then 2800m on the way back down.

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    I must admit I still never use prop pitch on any planes, and I have been playing the game online for over 6 months now.

I still have no real idea how it works. Well I understand the blades twist, but I am not sure when is the best time to use what settings.

I tried once and siezed my engine, never to try again. Maybe I should have another go sometime.