My Wings Channel satisfaction has been fairly low for some time now as the programming tends to be based primarily on war footage (and re-runs at that) with things relating to aviation, in particular modern aircraft, modern pilots, current events in engineering, aviation events such as airshows, competitions etc, modern pilot techniques and procedures, and very little programming about how the viewer can become involved in aviation. etc. Don't get me wrong, clearly a large part of aviation is tied into the military, but there is more to it, and despite what much of the programming suggests, there are in fact thigns going on *today* in aviaiton too! There are other channels that focus more on history, and the elements of wartime, there are no other channels that focus specificaly on aircraft.

I logged onto the Discovery.com site today to check programming as every now and then they televise events I am interested in, like the National Championship Air Races at Reno, the World Aerobatic Championships, EAA events, and Airshows, but usually these run at about 3 am Pacific Time so I have to record them if I want to see them.
    When I did I saw a banner announcing that the Wings Channel will be no more, and that it will be replaced by the Military Channel. . . there goes my subscription.
    I sent a rant to the feedback section, though clearly my interest in what’s going on today in aviation must be fairly rare as it doesn’t seem to warrant further programming.

Rant dissengaged

Regards,

Bernie

BSS_Goat's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bernoulli:
    When I did I saw a banner announcing that the Wings Channel will be no more, and that it will be replaced by the Military Channel. . . there

Rant dissengaged

Regards,

Bernie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its Military Aviation I say

hey i have the perfect mag for you..i've been reading it for the last 14 years(since i was 8)
    Aviation week & space technology www.aviationnow.com/awst

blue_76's Avatar Senior Member
    Personally, I'd hate to see it go. Now instead of the aviation programming we'll probably see more of tanks, soldiers etc. I'm so dissapointed.. been a wings fan since its early days at the discovery channel.

I finally recently got a cable package with Wings, but I've been pretty disappointed with it. I don't watch much TV, but it seems like every time I tune into Wings, there is one of about five documentaries on. Is there only a handful of programs to choose from for that channel?

I was kind of hoping Wings would have documentaries that are a study of a specific aircraft or event, as opposed to the survey documentaries the History Channel airs.
    However, most of the doucmentaries I have seen on Wings have been more broad and general than the History Channel stuff. What gives?

I guess I don't care if they change it to the Military Channel or not, I just want to see the programming improved.

huggy87's Avatar Senior Member
    That is really odd as the discovery channel was just at my squadron last month to film a special for this spring. I assumed it was for discovery wings, but maybe it was for the general discovery program. Check me out -if my footage makes it. I am the handsome fellow taxiing by with a shamrock on my helmet.

Figures I just got it and now it's leaving

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blue_76:
    Personally, I'd hate to see it go. Now instead of the aviation programming we'll probably see more of tanks, soldiers etc. I'm so dissapointed.. been a wings fan since its early days at the discovery channel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    (not that I think you're stupid!)

This is a bummer indeed!
    Finally get a station i like and now they switch formats.

Pretty much blows. The general aviation stuff is the only current programming they have. If it's going strickly military do you think the government is flipping some of the bill to get some pro-military propaganda on the airwaves? Not enough American youngsters are willing to throw their lives away for an unappreciative third world population. Maybe it's a tactic to generate some interest in the young.
    Whatever the reason I wont' be tuning in.
    John