I ask about it because I think this plane is sorely missed - both for "Battle of France" scenarios but also for finnish maps and campaigns!

IIRC the differences between the P36 and P40B/C cockpits was negligible.

So for this little bird

ElAurens's Avatar Senior Member
    Many of us have been hoping for this for a long time.

I'm not sure if the Luftwaffe crowd is ready for an American plane that is very close in roll rate to an Anton though.

And the P36 begs the question of how it would be implemented. The real aircraft could out turn any Spitfire at or below it's critical altitude, it could dive extremely well, and as mentioned above it had a phenomonal roll rate, especially considering it was essentially a 1934 design.

It will be fun to see if it is implemented.

vocatx's Avatar Senior Member
    This is another of the huge omissions from this sim. As wonderful as it is, there are some extremely important aircraft totally left out, or available as AI only.

not to forgett IanBoys Burma map !
    the RAF used the Mohawk IV (HAwk 75A4) there to fight Oscars

or Hawaii !! there were also P-36 in the air , not only Ben Affleck an his P40

as a summarize, it would be a planes that could be used very often on lot of maps - and it would be fun to fight in and against !

Originally posted by ElAurens:
    Many of us have been hoping for this for a long time.

I'm not sure if the Luftwaffe crowd is ready for an American plane that is very close in roll rate to an Anton though.

And the P36 begs the question of how it would be implemented. The real aircraft could out turn any Spitfire at or below it's critical altitude, it could dive extremely well, and as mentioned above it had a phenomonal roll rate, especially considering it was essentially a 1934 design.

It will be fun to see if it is implemented.
    Sounds like a Rata to me

It is pretty agile around all axis but on the other hand its armament is mediocre, it lacks quite a bit of speed (the Bf109E4 is ~80km/h faster!) and does not climb nearly as fast as say the E4 or SpitI (another plane thats missing).

I kind of like the P40B/C quite a lot and certainly would welcome the inclusion of the P36 to our planeset!

BTW, shouldnt the P36 and P40B have around the same roll-rate? They (simplified) just have different engines, no?

ElAurens's Avatar Senior Member
    The P36 was lighter than the P40B, by a fair ammount as I recall which should give it some advantage. But yes the early P40s had extremely good roll rates too. The earliest P40s (pre A/B models) could roll 135 degrees/sec.

Yes, P-36 a good early plane another is spitfire MK-I... I hope Oleg give us.

GerritJ9's Avatar Senior Member
    Not to mention that the KNIL used 20 Cyclone-powered Hawk 75A-7s (similar to the 75A-4)- these also saw action against the Japanese over Malaya and Java.

And not the mention the Finnish has a squadron and possibly more (haven't checked records) of them, in every day combat in the Winter War and Continuation War. Considering the Finns had only 7 front line fighters in use (not including variants like G-2/G-6), 1 seventh of the Finnish Air Force's fighters aren't included! Not to say of the Fokkers

IIRC, reading an American account, he disliked upgrading from P-36's to P-40's. He reckoned the Hawk outperformed the P-40 in all aspects, besides speed. But, as the war progressed speed was the dominating factor.

1942 23 Curtiss 75A aircrafts
    1943 18
    1944 25
    1945 19

source: Suomen ilmavoimat 1917-19?? (front page is missing) Finnish Airforces 1917-19??