blakduk's Avatar Senior Member
    I've looked around for info about the Lerche and can't find much other than it never got beyond the drawing board in 1945. I understand that experiments were carried out using the same concept in the 1950's but i dont understand the aerodynamics of it.
    How does it generate lift after it makes the transition to level flight?
    With the way it generates lift- would it effect whether it was inverted (discounting the effects on the pilot)?
    Could piston engines generate a sufficient power-to-weight ratio to allow for VTOL?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"He who fights and runs away,
    lives to fight another day"
    Family Motto

I have it on good authority that it could never have flown, and the Big O tinkered with the flight model.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Why choose the Lerche to model? Why not just make a German UFO...an Uber Flying Object? Maybe something like the little green-$hi+ firing space fighters from Independence Day.

Viper2005_'s Avatar Senior Member
    The lerche would have flown using its duct as a circular wing.

Piston engines certainly have sufficient power for VTOL flight; there are plenty of piston engined helicopters out there.

The Lerche almost certainly wouldn't have worked exactly as first drawn, but then most aeroplanes change somewhat between drawing board and production hardware.

VTOL is technically challenging, so the chances are that the Lerche would have gone through greater changes than a more conventional aeroplane.

With that said, I'm quite convinced that it could have been made to work; Convair's Pogo was conceptually similar. It flew, and it managed to make transitions.

But, as with the Pogo, I expect that its practicality as an operational fighter might have left something to be desired due to a combination of nasty failure modes and "difficult" landing characteristics.

Oh, and the fact that it would almost certainly fall over if left outside on a windy day!

All I know is I can't land the thing properly to save my life.

I ended up taking advantage of its disturbing manueverability at low speeds and basically just coming to a stop on a dirt road, horizontally.

Granted, I broke the outer frame, misaligned the propeller blades and rendered the engine inoperational, but nothing a quick tow to the hangar couldn't fix!

Originally posted by Maj.Kaos:
    Why choose the Lerche to model?
    Cuz it's cool and cool sells games <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Originally posted by Maj.Kaos:
    Why choose the Lerche to model? Why not just make a German UFO...an Uber Flying Object? Maybe something like the little green-$hi+ firing space fighters from Independence Day.
    They already have it! Its called the 109 G2.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Vo101_Isegrim AkA Kurfurst__ "though the Northrop fantasy (B-35)
    bomber you want to add to Il-2 never even got to the
    prototype stage,
    while the Gotha did."

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    The lerche uses an unobtainium reality nullifier field to fly. The german scientists came up with it in 1945, it's why the won the war, don't you know.

tater

The Lerche certainly raises questions. My two cents :
    First, as someone already said, piston engined helicopters do exist, and work. So much for "never would have the power to take-off".
    Second, about stability : the Germans could build rockets that actually took off vertically... yes, and they didn't fall over . The Lerche could basically have used this kind of active stabilisation.

AKA_TAGERT's Avatar Banned
    where is raaid when you need him<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

IF WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER.. THAN WHAT THE H IS YOUR QUESTION?