I was using Cat 4.11s waiting for ATI to finally fix the graphics issues with PF. It looks like they finally did. Cat 5.3 is mainly intended for later X-series Radeons and it improves the OpenGl performance about 5%. The graphics corruption is gone. The image quality is excellent. The only difference graphically I noticed over the Cat 4.11 is that the water is not as dark a shade of blue.

Thanks for the tip Ddsflyer.

I am running the 5.2 suite with X800XL and had to turn the landscape lighting down to eliminate "Snowy, white banding" on the top of the hills/mountains and some cockpits would not display properly unless this was turned down as well.
    I would also like to eliminate the slight "Tearing" of the windscreen posts when looking around in the cockpit. I believe this was done by enabling or disabling Vsync per Coasties' site, but I can no longer find this setting here with the 5.2 suite.

I will give the 5.3's a go.
    P.S.Beech 58 is a Bad#@!% airplane!

I love everything about my Baron except for the gas and insurance bills.

Great news on the 5.3s!

I just downloaded them last nite so I plan some testing tonite.

I`ll report back my findings short after.

The 5.2's work better for me, no issues and a slightly higher FR in game, as well as better marks on 3DMARK 2005. Oh well.

I run a 9800Pro 256Bit 128MB card and for the 5.3s are the best so far for FB/PF. No big increase in FPS but less of a drop over intense scenery on PF map islands as well as heavy ship fire. Overall average fps are better and gameplay is smoother. I have noticed a nice boost in image quality.

I run 1152x864@100hz refresh
    Perfect mode
    Texture mipmap filter=trilinear
    Texture compression=SCT3
    Use dither=On
    Use vertex arrays=On
    Use polygon stipple=Off

water=0
    forest=1

2xAA
    vertical sync always on
    Triple buffering enabled

9800Pro clocked @ 421/357

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilburnator:
    The 5.2's work better for me, no issues and a slightly higher FR in game, as well as better marks on 3DMARK 2005. Oh well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benchmarks mean squat. Why people care if they lose a few hundred points in a benchmark still baffles me to this day. Even more so the 3mark series. Play the games you play. Do they run smoother? Is there artifacts or distortion? These are the things you should ask yourself. FPS is not everything. If you can gain better image quality, more stable and smooth game play, no artifacts, then losing a few FPS is a good tradeoff. Atleast IMHO

Lol. That's why I said I got a slightly higher FR in game with the 5.2s. I noticed Zero improvement in quality, and a decrease in FR. So that means FOR ME, the 5.2's seem to work better. Take it easy, everything will be fine.

I have a 9800XT - am I likely to notice any improved performance?

reports are roughly 2-5% on 9800 series. I tested on X800Pro, X800XT PCIE, and X800XT PE all seem fine and within that scope.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Prangerman:
    I have a 9800XT - am I likely to notice any improved performance? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>