dbillo's Avatar Senior Member
    I've been practising level bombing in the He-111, and actually enjoying it, now that I've got the hang of working the bombsight.

The problem with the Level Stabilizer is that it always seems to result in a very, very slight, almost imperceptible dive. This requires keeping an eye on altitude during the bomb run and periodic adjustment of the bombsight altitude to keep it current.

I read in a tutorial that it's the way it always works. Is that true, or is there some trick to getting it to hold altitude perfectly? (yes, I have aircraft trimmed for level flight before engaging Level Stabilizer)

dbillo's Avatar Senior Member
    I've been practising level bombing in the He-111, and actually enjoying it, now that I've got the hang of working the bombsight.

The problem with the Level Stabilizer is that it always seems to result in a very, very slight, almost imperceptible dive. This requires keeping an eye on altitude during the bomb run and periodic adjustment of the bombsight altitude to keep it current.

I read in a tutorial that it's the way it always works. Is that true, or is there some trick to getting it to hold altitude perfectly? (yes, I have aircraft trimmed for level flight before engaging Level Stabilizer)

I don't know what version of FB you are running, but there used to be a bug in the level stabilizer that kept it from holding altitude. Also, the stabilizer is not capable of holding a fully loaded 111 at high altitude. It has a difficult time with planes that are close to stalling. I suggest you reduce alt, increase throttle or supercharger, or reduce your bombload or amount of fuel.

Speed, altitude and bombload affect the "levelness" of the level stabilizer, fortunately you can use trim to adjust while in level mode.

I usually uses combat flaps when applying level stabilizer and it manages to keep the altitude constant

Not sure about the He-111 but the B-25 has a steady sink rate with a heavy bomb load, 75% fuel at altitudes above 10,000ft (3,000m).

Try using just 50% fuel and heavy negative trim. Also, your airspeed plays a large factor in this so if you can...fly faster!

As mentioned, combat flaps can help here too. It kills your top speed but you don't sink.

S!

in 4.05m the Do-335 and He-111 actually climb, very slowly.

Can someone please tell me why I can't even find "Level autopilot" in the commands menu? I know it was there before, but sometime during one of the patches over the last year, it went away. I only have spots to assign keys to Autopilot and Autopilot Automation. Can I configure a key for it in the config.ini file?
    Thanks!

Tim

It might be called 'level stabilizer' in the controls.

And to those getting climbs/dives/whatever in level stabilizer, trim does still work. It just takes longer to go into effect, and takes more turns/clicks than in normal flight.

Whenever Im using Level Stabilizer I just give it max Trim and it maintains. The Pe-2s dont suffer from this odd sinking tho(maybe because of lighter loadouts)