maztec's Avatar Senior Member
    no prob marae, and don't worry about LordTulla's bit about no DVD. *shrug* It's not necessary.

Maz

Hi there,

First of all I would like to thank Lordtula. Changing the 15 m4...dll files worked great. I installed the patch and also got them graphic problems as described by some of you. Once I replaced the dll files the game works good. It only crashed two times since, in Serenia.

It took me two days to get this game running anyway. First my dvd player didn't read the first dvd (the second it did). The system I'm running this game on is:

Windows 2000
    AMD Athlon 1800+
    512 MB Ram
    Geforce 2 MX200/400 graphic card
    Aopen AK73(A)-V motherboard with onboard soundcard AC97 CODEC
    Aopen 1648 DVD player (which didn't work).

I upgraded the firmware for the Aopen 1648 DVD player to R17, but still it didn't work. After a very frustrating night I decided to buy a new DVD player the next day. So I bought a LG DVD player type GDR-8163B. this one accepted both DVD's.

So I installed the game and after that I installed the patch 1.01. While playing there were some graphic problems at many places (the squares, etc.). So I replaced the 15 dll files as Lordtula described on november 03 and it fixed the graphic (and crashing) problems.

Now I'm finally playing Myst 4 Revelation for two whole days and it is breathtaking. They combined all the best things from all the myst games and put it into Myst 4. Especially Serenia is breathtaking. This is the sequel to Riven I have been waiting for for so long. This is modern art at it's best. Bravo!

marae's Avatar Dr. Marae, Professor of D'ni Ethnomusicology and Terpsichore, and Duke, OutStanding in His Field
    I agree, this is a beautiful game. I am happy to report that after changing only the one shader dll file as Maztec suggested in his other topic, my graphics are back to normal and I have had no further crashes.

I have no idea about the depth of field issue, however. I don't know whether it was on or off when I was playing before installing the patch; however, I do know that it told me my card wouldn't support the feature after I installed the patch. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference of that sort in the graphics, so maybe I never had it turned on in the first place.

Interesting new problem the patch causes. Atrus' desk in Thomahna, which contains his commentaries on Haven and Spire. He tells you to click a symbol on his desk to access them. Well, that don't work no more. At all. Tried it millions of times. Can someone else verify this?

Mac User Attention:G5/Dual 2Ghz/2 Gb RAM/MacOs 10.3.6/NVIDA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL/
    Game crashes frequently after games menue
    Conflict with Graphics card driver

Workaround:Turn Resolution in Game Optipns To 640*480 and turn off all special effects than it should work
    Hopefuly Ubisoft brings an update out soon the new Drivers in 10.3.6 solved a lot of Problems in other games
    so lets hope for a new Patch

So what is the concensus here? I'm reading that the patch causes all sorts of graphic malaise...yet accoding to the first post it sounds like it is practically required to complete/solve certain puzzles (which I have yet to encounter).

Bocelli, not particularly required -- but helpful for some people and on some systems it might be required.

Consensus:

Patch v1.02 should be out within a week. It fixes all the problems Patch v1.01 made and also fixes the problems it was supposed to fix.

Patch v1.2 has a lot more fixes in it and is moving along quite well from what I've heard.

-- Ok, that's all the news I've got.

Maz

Thanks Lord Tulla !!!

Now that I was able to back out of the patch, I'm playing again. I'll go back to Spire later.

So, as an architect (software) I'm curious, why the big increase in bloat between Uru and Revelation? Outsourcing or something ??? Besides pretty pictures and more music, the latter seems to occupy a LOT more memory than URU, and based on what I've read, the infrastructure seems a LOT more complex and fragile, as well as riddled with dependencies on the environment... something we do our best to AVOID in decoupled software design.

I miss the smooth transitions and the ability to explore just about anywhere. I also miss the simplicity and trouble-free operation of Uru!

Cheers,
    Rob in NYC

For those who would like to know, the reason I noted my use of the "No DVD Fix" is that it allows me to play the game WITHOUT having the DVD in the drive. This Fix affects the m4_thor_rd.dll & Myst4.exe files.

So after I recovered from the problems created by the v1.01 patch (restoring the M4....DLL files), I re-applied the No DVD fix, which in turn overwrote the 2 files that were noted above. I was just trying to be complete in relating what I did to my game...

Tukhus, two different engines and two different developers.

Cyan made Uru, Riven, and Myst. Ubi did Revelation and Presto did Exile.

Ubi tends to be the publisher.