Jumoschwanz's Avatar Banned
    I am pretty sure the factory used silicon grease, it does not attack the plastic. I am sure eventually the auto grease will screw up the stick, I would take it apart and clean it out, it would be worth it as those a great sticks.

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
    I am pretty sure the factory used silicon grease, it does not attack the plastic. I am sure eventually the auto grease will screw up the stick, I would take it apart and clean it out, it would be worth it as those a great sticks.
    Silicone Grease has applications everywhere.

Its even the lubricant on Condoms

You could just run to the nearest auto supply store and buy a tube of dielectric grease.

A silicone based grease no conductive and cheap!!

The main concern would be if you are using a petroleum based lubricant as this will in time degrade plastic. I have some general purpose synthetic grease for plastics I have used on a set of pedals once and haven't had a problem.

Is a Sidewinder P2 good and does it have FF? I always hear the Sidewinder FF2 was the one to get. Seems like everyone wants the one with the red trigger though I have not found any evidence that the performance or reliability is any better with this model just that its rarer and has a rubber grip on the handle.

M2morris's Avatar Senior Member
    No Casey, the P2 does'nt have FFB, I have always wanted to try that.
    But, after seeing these replies I am reconsidering cleaning out the auto grease after all and using the proper lube while I still have time before it causes damge.
    And then I can try to find a SW with FFB and see what thats all about.

So how is the stick working after your service? I think im gonna tear it apart and clean it for the first time in 10 plus years.

Originally posted by RepublicofTexas:
    So how is the stick working after your service? I think im gonna tear it apart and clean it for the first time in 10 plus years.
    You would feel a big difference if you went ahead and did that.
    If I could do it again I would use the proper grease but
    I never did go back in and clean out the auto grease and it has been working real good. Nice and smooth. I just got finished flying a Corsair for about an hour. I think it will be lasting a long time.

well I cracked her open, cleaned and regreased her and she is smoother and the rudder action seems to have improved. I did not mess with the actual pots with the metal springs, didnt want them to pop on me like when you clean a 1911 lol.

Originally posted by RepublicofTexas:
    well I cracked her open, cleaned and regreased her and she is smoother and the rudder action seems to have improved. I did not mess with the actual pots with the metal springs, didnt want them to pop on me like when you clean a 1911 lol.
    Good news.
    Maybe you won't need to buy a new one after all, but if you need to you can still find them for sale here and there. I will never get another kind, there's no need for me to start using a different design. If my present one ever kicks the bucket I might have her bronzed.

The stick slop is still there though. I thought about sticking a shim in there but I didnt, not a big deal as long as it works.