Did you know that there are documents claiming some of Sala'adin's scouts were rooted to the spot while scouting Masyaf (which is real and the largest of many Assassin fortresses)?

Also, it is told that the Grand Master asked some of his thralls to jump from the ramparts (just like Altair but with death as the outcome) to show their allegiance, and they did?

Also, the word 'Assassin' comes from the word 'Hashishin' (among many spellings) which is the claim that the assassins were drugged or else they wouldn't give their lives?

What history do you know of the Assassins? I could give a bit more, but I want to know if anyone else has anything to add.

Ubisoft did pretty darn good at research.

*sigh* all of this is in the dev diaries and blogs and what not. plus there are many threads already pertaining to this topic. sorry dude.

I'm sure there are. There are also many, many books on such subjects..but if it is not kept in the public eye, such things are forgotten or ignored. I did not ask if people read the dev diaries or past entries, but what they know on the history of assassins. Sorry dude.

fair enough i was simply implying that there are already threads that cover this topic and there really doesnt necessarily NEED to be another one. i will admit it is kind of nice to see these kinds of posts again. like you, (im assuming) how historically accurate the game is and the whole immersion into the time period is what made you love the game.

and to add to the thread, the reason the "blend to look like a monk/scholar" feature is in the game is because to assassinate (i think conrad de montferrat?) they actually did disguise themselves as said monks.

Yes, or merchants, or whatever it took to get the job done..and btw..I learned my info from books (what are those again? lol) not the internet or dev notes. It was refreshing to go back into my books and see that the game took up a bit of history that had little significance until I started playing this game. I found it extremely fascinating. I had to go back and read "The Crusades through Arab Eyes" by Amin Maalouf because it does go into a bit of Assassin history, and as we all know, what does not make the front page of the news gets forgotten or passed over.

I really only wanted people to understand that this game is not based in pure fiction..besides..who really reads the dev notes anyway? lol

well prior to the release a lot of people followed the dev diaries and blog. ill have to pic up that book, it sounds like a good read. i never actually looked back at the historical portion much after i played, i really just based it off of what i already knew. i took more to all of the abstergo plans, codes, chaos theory, mandlebrot set, ect. stuff, which is all interesting as well. i should go back and read up a bit.

That sounds interesting..tbh..I don't do much internet research..I don't trust it..if it's not in print it means (to me) that you're not always willing to spend the dough to back up your theories. Like in the game (but even worse these days) you can't always believe what you read so I tend to at least consider print (with it's costs of publication) more then just whatever people want to publish on Google. Not only that, but reading on a computer screen hurts the hell out of my eyes../sigh.

Still though, I'd really like to hear what other people have discovered of Assassination history, dev notes aside (or even if you THINK you're repeating dev notes, please tell). Ghenis Khan's son destroyed most of the text of this clan, so history is scant. It breaks my heart. So like the library of Alexandria. Such loss.

haha you make me want to head down to the library and go do some real research. i totally see where youre coming from concerning the reliability of information from the internet. *sigh* wikipedia, why do you let anyone write what they want?

I tend to at least consider print (with it's costs of publication) more then just whatever people want to publish on Google
    i prefer the physical thing as well. especially a new book, when you can still smell glue on the spine.(oh god im such a nerd ) ok back on topic in the 1930's hashasheen was used as something along the lines of trouble maker. its not really related to the game but its kind of interesting.

Originally posted by drfeelgood8849:
    haha you make me want to head down to the library and go do some real research. i totally see where youre coming from concerning the reliability of information from the internet. *sigh* wikipedia, why do you let anyone write what they want?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I tend to at least consider print (with it's costs of publication) more then just whatever people want to publish on Google
    i prefer the physical thing as well. especially a new book, when you can still smell glue on the spine.(oh god im such a nerd ) ok back on topic in the 1930's hashasheen was used as something along the lines of trouble maker. its not really related to the game but its kind of interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hash was used along the lines of troublemaker in the 30's? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain further?

i meant the name hashasheen was given to those who were considered trouble makers.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last ►►