How about enabling the MG station in the IL-2 1941 Field Mod?

So Oleg, since the original IL-2 was released in 2001, I've been wondering about when that beautiful IL-2 1941 Field Mod would be completed... at the time there were some issues with the outside gun station in that IL-2 model... but the TB-3s use the same type of MG gunner station, and with the same model of dual DA machine-guns... and they are all enabled in the TB-3... how about adding that interior model to the IL-2 1941 Field mod so that we can play that as a 2-seater in online games? or just to play as gunners?

You gotta admit... not that bad of an idea is it?

Look at the pics below:

Yup, I have often wanted the same

However, Oleg would have to model the back of the early Il-2, so I dunno if he's up to it or not. Probably not <party pooper!>.

Im trying to remeber Olegs reply to this question from years ago.
    Wasn't it something to do with the gunner position being moddeled correctly?
    I think it was due to lack of info sadly

Stigler_9_JG52's Avatar Banned
    Lack of info never stopped him from making a flight model decision, apparently.

Hawgdog's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by KG26_Alpha:

I think it was due to lack of info sadly
    THAT line gave me a chuckle. Plenty of planes had a bit of artistic license applied. LOL
    Would be nice, yes. OR make the rear gunner hit harder to compensate for his lousy eyesight.

Name 1 plane with artisitic license applied to Graphics re cockpit moddeling and gunner positions please ??

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    He's probably saving it up for when we return to the Eastern Front. It doesn't make a huge impact...how many fly the Field Mod variant these days anyways? I know I do...and will continue to do so...but I can live with the lack of gunner control. Its worth talking about for when we do go back to the Eastern Front...having the station would be nice.

We'll, I think that the benefit and gain of having that modelled (even if it is only partially accurate from the graphic standpoint) would far outweight not having it. As long as the gun works, and using the TB-3 as a basis, I believe it works.

Oh well, I try not to whine too much, but everynow and then I feel the natural need to whine about something IL-2 related.

ElAurens's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by KG26_Alpha:
    Name 1 plane with artisitic license applied to Graphics re cockpit moddeling and gunner positions please ??
    Mitsubishi G4M1-11 "Betty" for one. Instead of being able to view the rest of the interior from any gunner position you merely have the image area blacked out.

Looking back from the Pilot's seat at what should be a perfectly visible gunners station.
    Still, it is a very good compromise to have the Betty flyable.

I thought you meant the binoculars left hanging there ..............

BTW that screen shot is neither a cockpit or gunner station just a "inbetween area" If you want to nitpick at over the shoulder views I suggest you get in a Bf110 G2 to have a look at Gunner/radio & cockpit moddeling as it should be.

This kind of moddeling is purley done for polycount limitation I would imagine as opposed to artistic license.

BTW Uber Deamon

I want more than anything the gunner stations to be put in I mean it looks simple right ?

B17 would/should be the simplest to do with a vast array of information out there about it but alas its just not happening, Ive waited a mere 4/5 years for the Ju88 so who knows whats going to happen with the new IL2 series restarting with TBoB.