Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Anybody here try this? I saw it in BJs today.. I think I'll go back there tomorrow and grab it....

I did find a snippet in this thread but I have no idea how old that thread is... it looks like this came out last year. There are also some screenshots in there as well.

Vital Stats

Its quite good fun but if your looking for an RTS id suggest to go for "Company of Heroes" or "Soldiers heroes of world war II".
    Company of heroes is a very good game, although its a little on the C&C kind of play with rushes with the AI etc although the campaign and online play is very rewarding!
    Soldiers is a good game and opens the picture out slightly by having increased unit counts etc over Company of heroes - however it does make you feel like your little dudes are despensible.

Faces of war is a good game but the AI is very dated and quite stupid. often rushing armies into heavily defended areas where they have lost forces before even though theres a totally open route. Also theres a few clipping issues where tanks get stuck on rubble which gets fustrating in fire fights. If its going cheap id say buy it as its good fun for a while - i wouldnt pay full price for it thoug.
    Hope that helps

SaQSoN's Avatar Senior Member
    Its quite good fun but if your looking for an RTS id suggest to go for "Company of Heroes" or "Soldiers heroes of world war II".
    "Faces of War" is, actually, a sequel to the "Soldiers heroes of world war II", made by the same Ukrainian developer. 1C is just a CIS publisher for that game.
    BTW, I liked the "Soldiers..." more then the "FoW", as well. And the "Company of Heroes" is absolutely the best of the three.

Company of Heroes is Command and Conquer with pretty graphics. It's bad. I mean really bad - bears as much relevance to WWII combat as the Tomb Raider series does to real archeology.

Imagine Il2 with a points system that means you buy fighter factories before you can put a plane in the air. Bombers? Forget it, you need to build a radar tower first then a map room. Oops! Not enough points left. Never mind, the other side have over run your pilot school anyway, you got nothing to fly your planes with. Look after your groundcrew factory, you can't build anything without those critters. You catch my drift?

I much preferred Sudden Strike, and I didn't like that at all.

Just my 2 cents.

joeap's Avatar Senior Member
    How bizzare Bearcat, here in Europe the box has an soviet soldier raising the "hammer and sickle" ... just the flag and headgear is different. Not a big deal, anyway I have not been turned on by most of these games. I liked the Close Combat series and Steel Panthers, I heard good things about Combat Mission too.

Originally posted by John_Wayne_:
    Company of Heroes is Command and Conquer with pretty graphics. It's bad. I mean really bad - bears as much relevance to WWII combat as the Tomb Raider series does to real archeology.

Imagine Il2 with a points system that means you buy fighter factories before you can put a plane in the air. Bombers? Forget it, you need to build a radar tower first then a map room. Oops! Not enough points left. Never mind, the other side have over run your pilot school anyway, you got nothing to fly your planes with. Look after your groundcrew factory, you can't build anything without those critters. You catch my drift?

I much preferred Sudden Strike, and I didn't like that at all.

Just my 2 cents.
    Nutter!

Company of Heroes is nothing like C&C games, I really don't see how you could make the comparison at all.

It has very unique game play, and it's really quite good, if slightly overrated.

I repeat, CoH is a C&C clone. Like AoE, Cossacks (which wasn't all that bad) and all that followed. You can pretty it up all you like with fancy psuedo WWII models and erroneous markings- including Swiss flags on medical units , it remains a variation on a theme. I maintain my original stance. I doubt Ike, Rommel or Zhukov worried about having enough build points to put an engineer making plant on the battlefield. It sucks, and it sucks big time.IMHO

Now I've had 4 cents worth. Adios, pilgrim.

Originally posted by John_Wayne_:
    I repeat, CoH is a C&C clone.
    CoH is a Dawn of War clone, not a C&C clone. Thanks to Relic, there's a rather significant difference. They've managed to reinvent and perfect everything that C&C ever did in their games, you have to keep that in mind. After all, just because you don't like ball-related sports doesn't mean you lump American football games into the same group as Association football games, and write them off as a group.

Faces of War suffered massively bad timing being released at the same time as Company of Heroes. I don't understand how people can be so fiercely one or the other, as I bought both and enjoy both. But then, I also enjoyed Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 and Dawn of War.

Fortunately there are demos for both games that accurately portray their single player, if not necessarily their multiplayer. The games feel the same in multiplayer so there's really only the difference in the skill of your opponents to factor in, which is usually quite staggering. Evening the hardest AI in CoH has nothing on an average player online.

I'd have to agree with SaQSoN that CoH is the best of the three he listed. I've played more CoH online than I've played of Soldiers and Faces of War combined.

For $20 though, Faces of War is a great buy. Especially if you get a few buddies and can get some co-op going. That's one thing CoH can't do, and in Faces of War it's generally a hoot, especially if you're at a LAN or can get voice comm going.

Company of Heroes is Command and Conquer with pretty graphics.
    LMAO. You obviously do not know much about RTS titles. I have play both series, love them both but come on! They are nothing a like whatsoever. And dozens of game reviews would agree. You should not bash something you clearly no very little about.

Company of Heroes rocks and is one of a kind.

Whats next? IL-2 is just CFS 3 with pretty graphics?!? LMAO again.