I just wanted to say I have only recently stumbled across this game and I can't tell you how impressed I am by it. I am a longtime gamer with forgotten hope taking up most of my spare time the last 7 years and I have been looking for something new as FH has gotten a bit stale, as good as it is. I think I may have found it with IL2. The only thing I can say is it'll be weeks before I'm able to fly good enough to get a kill, or take off successfully for that matter, lol. I've already chatted with quite a few players and I can honestly say most of the people have been very helpful and understanding of a total noob. I look forward to seeing some more of you online.

Zeus-cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Welcome MarvinFowler!

Check out the Nugget's guide in the thread by Bearcat as well as my training campaign (for takeoffs and landings).

Welcome to the Forums Marvin. Good to see someone who is new to the game, be so positive.

Originally posted by MarvinFowler:
    I can honestly say most of the people have been very helpful and understanding of a total noob.
    After 4 years I am still a noob. The other day I was killed in my IL-2 after a series of 8 successful missions (many of them hair-raising), just because I forgot to note the shortest path back to the frontline and went towards my base over enemy territory for a longer time, being chased by 4 AI Bf-109s... doh!

What kind of hardware do you have? Besides a good joystick, rudder pedals make managing the torque of the aircraft during takeoff much, much easier than using the keyboard. Rudder pedals are also necessary for mastering maneuvers like side-slips, hammerheads, scissors and rolling scissors. CH pro pedals might cost you about $90-$100 from various web retailers, but they will last you for years and years.

You might also want to practice in the P-38: its counter-rotating props combined with tricycle landing gear make takeoffs easier than any tail-dragger.

Good luck!

na85's Avatar Senior Member
    I would also recommend getting a head tracker such as Freetrack or TrackIR.

In fact, I'd say that given the choice between my trackIR and my rudder pedals, I would choose the trackIR.

But you don't need anything except a joystick, really. Those other things may help make it more enjoyable but they're not essential.

Welcome aboard, anyway.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Welcome aboard........

Hello there.
    Il2 is hands down the best WW2 combat flight sim available and is no wonder you are enjoying it so much.
    I am curious. You say you stumbled across it. How exactly did you find Il2?

danjama's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi marvin, hows tricks? Glad to see new people still discovering il2

I have been out of the loop for 2 years myself and feel like a noob all over again, have had to learn all about mods and everything else, been flying for almost a week now and feel like i have come home

I cant express my happiness at a perfect carrier landing in a Corsair last night in one of my coops I used to do these in my sleep but relearning it all is so satisfying, you have it all to come