I was randomly thinking of how much the franchise has evolved since game one, so... remember when...

- You couldn't move when using eagle vision: you were in the same place as you were either sitting or standing
    - Those musical singing guitar dudes used to be poor NPCs coming up to you saying "No, you don't understand" & they'd actually push you!
    - You couldn't swim (& you'd see poor Altair having a fight for his life the second he was in water)
    - As Desmond, you could only walk: I'm sure I'm not the only one who, at the beginning of AC2, said "Wow! I can sprint!"
    - Eagles dominated the viewpoints (in comparison to ACB where crows loitered around the Borgia towers before you burned them)
    - You didn't have a wide variety of weapons
    - *Spoiler* (if you haven't played AC1) The only 'present' Subject 16 left Desmond wasn't found until the end of the game
    - Jade Raymond & Patrice Desilets were the ones you saw in developer diaries & E3/general interviews (not that I have anything against the current developers, it's just from the old interviews, their names & faces were frequent )
    - Uplay didn't exist (but imagine what the possible rewards could have been like...)
    - Multiplayer didn't exist for two whole games: heck, what use would my PSN account be today without AC multiplayer? (I'll never forget creating my PSN account on my 18th birthday, and the next day it was the start of the AC Brotherhood beta )
    - Trophy lists weren't compulsory yet, so (unlike Xbox-ers) I didn't have to worry about collecting all... those... flags...
    - You didn't have factions to help you out: you did stuff on your own
    - You had one hidden blade so double air assassinations weren't yet possible
    - You (well, definitely for me at least) didn't learn any bad words in another language until AC2 ---> my Italian dictionary only consists of a couple of greetings & a whole lot of swearing thanks to AC2 & beyond

Thanks Ubisoft for what is a great franchise: you've had me hooked from the first game

I'm probably missing alot of other stuff, but what else do you remember...?

Of course to the Yin must come the Yang. Most of these "evolutions" are purely gameplay-related; what about story, atmosphere and difficulty? What was once a neatly enclosed package is now a tangled mess burdened by unnecessary sidequests & arbitrary plot twists. Not to mention PC ports still taking far too long; you'd think after three major games they'd learn to speed up the process a bit or at least have the decency to announce PC delays earlier.

Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
    Most of these "evolutions" are purely gameplay-related; what about story, atmosphere and difficulty?
    I did say I was missing alot of stuff...
    I wanted to know what other 'evolutions' people thought of

AnthonyA85's Avatar Senior Member
    i remember way back when the crowd AI wasn't as ******ed (or even more so) than the guards, when the crowd would scream and run around yelling bloody murder after seeing a guard die or get thrown from a rooftop, instad of just walking up to it, staring for a minute then walking off, or worse, ignore it completely.

I also remember when we had to actually had to work to kill some aponents, that actually put up a good fight, unless we were lucky enough to get them from behind with the hidden blade.

Of course, i'm refering to Templar Knights (the dudes in the red helmets), they're something that hasn't been equaled in any of the following games, except for the final targets (rodrigo and chesere)

Poodle_of_Doom's Avatar Senior Member
    I remember actually desynching. It seems like the games have become progressively easier.

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by AnthonyA85:
    i remember way back when the crowd AI wasn't as ******ed (or even more so) than the guards, when the crowd would scream and run around yelling bloody murder after seeing a guard die or get thrown from a rooftop, instad of just walking up to it, staring for a minute then walking off, or worse, ignore it completely.

I also remember when we had to actually had to work to kill some aponents, that actually put up a good fight, unless we were lucky enough to get them from behind with the hidden blade.

Of course, i'm refering to Templar Knights (the dudes in the red helmets), they're something that hasn't been equaled in any of the following games, except for the final targets (rodrigo and chesere)
    Crowds do run around after killing a guard in AC2 and ACB. I see it all the time...

And the Templars were easy to kill, just like every other guard in the game.

Great post.

- I remember when pick-pocketing meant something, or was, at least, a challenge.
    - I remember life before Fast Travel stations and making the long drudge out of Masyaf every time I replay or start a new sequence.

-I remember when you killed your targets, not just because they were templars, but because you had investigated them and saw that they were evil.
    -I remember when you had to plan your approach, and find a path that minimized your target's chance of escape; not have the path handed to you by linear environments and invisible de-synch walls.

I remember when Altaiir sounded like a badass American guy.

I remember when I was pelted with rocks by greedy beggar ladies while trying to escape the scene of the crime...then falling down and having to face the sword of a templar that just happened to be in the neighborhood.

...and It still happens to me now XD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►