Hi mateys,

Has anyone read "Killer Caldwell: Australia's Greatest Fighter Pilot"?

It is based on Clive "Killer" Caldwell and is written by Jeffrey Watson.

While it was informative, the style of the writing really irked me. Not to say that I didn't enjoy it. It was a great read, but they style of the writing detracted from it a little.

Anyhow, does anyone here object to Killer Caldwells right to be Australia's greatest fighter pilot? Possibly Neveille Duke?

If so, who would you say is. Further, are there any other great books about other really great Aussie fighter pilots in any theatre?

Cheers

Ernie Wheeler

Hi Ernie

No dispute or answer from me, just wondered if you'd seen the following campaign by Browning50cal:

http://www.flying-legends.net/php/do...ad.php?id=4726

In case you need to be registered to view the link, here's the info on the campaign:

A 40 mission scripted campaign based on the exploits of the highest scoring RAAF ace of the war, Clive Caldwell. Combat begins in 1941 in the North African desert pitting the TomahawkMkIIb against the best Axis aircraft of the period. Then you will transfer to "Australia" to face off against the Imperial Japanese Navy and Army, flying the SpitMkVIII.

Having never met Caldwell perhaps I am being a bit basied but without a doubt I believe the best fighter pilot that was skilful, couagous and having a bit of Aussie larkin in him has to go to Bobby Gibbes. Both were court martailled for the "misapportation of RAAF aircraft for the purposes of trafficing Alcahol". But talking with Bob he has that magically touch of making yourself feel important.

A good read and very insightful.

Such a shame that our AF was run so poorly.

My Campaign is also available at Mission4today.com

The campaign is based on an article that I read in an issue of Aviation History magazine (Nov2005). As I had finished the previous campaign that I was working on, and needed another subject, Caldwell seemed to be perfect. His story crosses multiple theaters, in multiple aircraft, fighting against nearly every enemy the Allies had.

Desert warfare, including many air to ground missions in variants of the P-40.

To air battles across the Pacific, against the Japanese Army and Navy.

Some of the most amazing stories out of WWII come from some of the least well known Characters of the conflict.

B50

Cheers for your responses fellas!

Though I thought I might get a few more book suggestions! I didn't think to mention this in my first post, but another really really great book is War Without Glory by JD Balfe. He outlines the story of a couple of Hudson pilots during the fall of Malaya and Singapore, and then as they get on the offensive afterwards. Truly this is a top read, one of if not the best book I have read on Australians in the War II.

Cheers again guys, and will definitely download the Caldwell campaign. But its 29mb and I'm on dialup and don't have the time tonight!

Ern Wheeler