Great game but one thing that lacks is the engine & gun sounds etc. They are pretty poor. Is there anything that can be done or downloaded?

I want real sounds.

stansdds's Avatar Senior Member
    Sound is hard coded to the game engine and sounds are generated by a sound generator in the game engine, so in short, there is nothing that can be done except adjusting the sound with your computer's sound settings and using good quality speakers or headphones.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself. -Stans, 2006

Seriously, what kind of soundcard and speakers are you using? Because i really do not know what you are complaining about. On my old Soundglaster Audigy soundcard paired with 4.1 creative soundworks speakers i get quite good sound.

But it is true, that if you are using onboard **** that hardly deserves to be called soundcard, results may varry. Heard the difference on my brothers onboard sound.

well sound has never been really good in Il2, it just do the job.the point is that it's not that is not good but is not realistic.
    As for using a better sound card and speakers..well yes it will change something but not that much.Meaning you will ear some little sound effects you didnt heard before, but if you are speaking of more realistic sounds,well just wait and hope for BoB.

Quite right, for example listen to the Merlin engines in the game compared to real life. Not much comparison unfortunately. However, that doesn't stop me flying planes with them in (in the game that is ) .<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Originally posted by Fighterduck:
    well sound has never been really good in Il2, it just do the job.the point is that it's not that is not good but is not realistic.
    As for using a better sound card and speakers..well yes it will change something but not that much.Meaning you will ear some little sound effects you didnt heard before, but if you are speaking of more realistic sounds,well just wati and hope for BoB.

The sounds is a source for complaining since Il-2 v1.00, 5 years ago. Even then the synthesized (spelling?) sounds where obsolete. The M$FS and CFS series allready had much better sounds. IMHO, the only thing that M$ did better. They probably decided this way because lots of engines that where common back then are not running anymore so, they couldn't take sound recordings either. IIRC, in Il-2 v1.00 you had this need effect that with pausing the simulation, the sounds muted slowly in a few seconds. When the sim was un-paused, the sounds slowly recovered their previous volume. It was one of those little tiny details that made this sim so much diffrent and better then all the M$ cr@p we where used to before. (And believed was good)

I sure hope they get the Merlins and Daimlers proper recorded for BoB.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    2 For with what judgment ye judge,
    ye shall be judged: and with what
    measure ye mete, it shall be measured
    to you again.

Chivas's Avatar Senior Member
    The sounds are very good in FB. Unfortunately alot of people want sounds they would hear if they were flying a magic carpet, not sitting behind a roaring engine with head phones on.

There are other sims I fly which have great game play sounds but hardly realistic. Its a tough balance between reality and game play.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

So if I'm on the runway with the engine off & another P51 0r Spitfire fires up , are they supposed to sound like a Murray lawnmower still ? the engine / gun sounds in IL2 were a mistake , I know it was easier to do it that way , but for a developer to make a big deal about plane details & leave out authenic engine sounds ..tis a lil odd to me ..I do hope his future flightsims gets that part down right..see Shockwave for help if needed .

Originally posted by Bolt40:
    are they supposed to sound like a Murray lawnmower still ?
    Exactly the problem, with fly-pasts sounding even worse. IMHO, all planes sound too much alike as well, apart from some noticeable exceptions like the screaming Tempest.

Still, I'm sure it will be different in BoB and it's not stopping me enjoying the best sim around.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

slipBall's Avatar Senior Member
    What will the sound's be like in SOW....I'm not sure that Oleg realize's the importance of this....it's not that while flying, I want to hear other than my own aircraft...but I want to hear my engine, not a lawn cutting device....If more of us ask this question, maybe there will be hope for SOW

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=150080

so far, only 1 question about sound<div class="ev_tpc_signature">