MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi all,

Perhaps 70% of the German war capacity in WW2 was directed towards Russia on the East Front?

il2 has 'opened my eyes' as regards the East Front.

And were 80% of German casualties inflicted by the Russians?

And did this also apply to the Luftwaffe?

The eventual massive might of the Russian war machine was IMO very significant.

I'm just looking at historical perspectives here.

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

ICDP's Avatar Senior Member
    Sorry double post

ICDP's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
    Hi all,

Perhaps 70% of the German war capacity in WW2 was directed towards Russia on the East Front?

il2 has 'opened my eyes' as regards the East Front.
    Yes, I believe this is about right for division of the German ground forces.

Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:And were 80% of German casualties inflicted by the Russians?
    Once again this could be a fair estimate regarding the German combatant losses.

And did this also apply to the Luftwaffe?
    Prior to USAAF heavey bomber raids over Germany the LW were indeed mostly engaged in the eastern front. By around early 1943 the LW day fighters were beginning to move west to face the massive bomber raids. If we look at the overall number of aircraft divided between fronts in 1943-1944 it would have been split fairly evenly between east and west. Having said that by far the biggest majority of day fighters were based in the west or in Reich Defence units.

I think the overall ratio of losses was around 4:1 in favour of the western front from mid 1943 until late 1944. Though it should not be forgotten that the LW did suffer a very high attrition rate of pilots and aircraft in the east before 1943.

Hoenire's Avatar Banned
    Stupid question.

You don't defeat an air force, you defeat a country. You can minimise the effectiveness of an air force but that doesn't much if you can't beat the army on the ground.

Keep in mind that numerically the soviets held the advantage but even up untill the end of the war the Luftwaffe was able to gain local air superiority almost anywhere they wanted over the VVS by neglecting other areas of the front and putting alot of their aircraft in one area.
    I think overwhelmingly the Luftwaffe was destroyed by the west, while in the east they were still enjoying success albiet on a smaller scale and against opposition that was growing stiffer by the day.

In general yes the Russians did the most to defeat the germans. No doubt about it. Just ask yourself this question if you don't believe it. What would the war have been like had the germans honored the non-agression pact with the Soviets?

Originally posted by Hoenire:
    Stupid question.

You don't defeat an air force, you defeat a country. You can minimise the effectiveness of an air force but that doesn't much if you can't beat the army on the ground.

Being a teacher by profession this type of comment really irritates me, as I bend over backwards trying to get my students to feel free to ask any question, telling them that there really are no stupid questions (only stupid answers).

If you have a question, always feel free to ask it, and most often the answer will benefit many of those hearing it. If it is a question that everyone else knows the answer to does not make it stupid or less worthy of asking.

Originally posted by stalkervision:
    In general yes the Russians did the most to defeat the germans. No doubt about it. Just ask yourself this question if you don't believe it. What would the war have been like had the germans honored the non-agression pact with the Soviets?
    Its a little more complicated than that. I doubt that the Russians or the Western allies could have beaten the Germans alone. Russia had the man power But a severe lack of mobility and an immobile army is a beaten one as the Germans have proved in russia time and time again.
    By 1944 the Russian army was very mobile due in part to lend lease. American trucks, fuel and supplies mechanized the Russian army while American and British bomber raids did there part to De-mechanize the German army. Here is a small list of what U.S. gave the Russian's.

95% of all rail stock
    60% rails
    59% AvGas
    350,000 trucks
    75,000 Jeeps
    P-39 5707 (4719 reached the USSR)
    P-40 2397
    P-47 195
    P-63 2397 (21 lost in transfer)
    Hurricane 2952
    Spitfire 1331
    Total: 14982
    Bomber and Attack Aircraft
    A-20 2908
    B-25 862
    Hampden 23
    plus a few others
    Total: 3800

Also Oil refineries were being bombed all the way into Romania starving the Whermacht and Luftwaffe of what it needed most, Petrol.

So by mid 44' A mobile German army became rather static and defensive and The once static Russian army became highly mobile. The roles were reversed on the eastern front and it was like 41', 42' and 43' just in reverse!

Yes, The russians killed far more Germans but without the west I beleive they would have lost.

Originally posted by Blindman-:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoenire:
    Stupid question.

Being a teacher by profession this type of comment really irritates me, as I bend over backwards trying to get my students to feel free to ask any question, telling them that there really are no stupid questions (only stupid answers).

If you have a question, always feel free to ask it, and most often the answer will benefit many of those hearing it. If it is a question that everyone else knows the answer to does not make it stupid or less worthy of asking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!!!!!!

The luftwaffe? No. The Germans? Yes.

For every 3 german soldiers fighting the western allies there were 8 fighting the Russians.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... Last ►►