Haigotron's Avatar Senior Member
    what are the power settings on the i16 while clinging to the underbelly (underwing too) of its TB3 mother?

i heard someone tell me that they put full power to help the TB3..but isnt the purpose of being carried to not waste any gas and increase the i16's range?

do you prop feathers (or prop 10%) and hang back under the wing?

or do u put prop to 50% and a bit of throttle to pretend ur making a difference?

dbillo's Avatar Senior Member
    IIRC, when I tried this, I noticed the AI on the other wing throttled up, so I did the same. As far as range goes, while you are attached, the TB-3 keeps the I-16's fuel tanks topped up, so when you release, you've got full range available.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    dont think it makes much difference

Willey's Avatar Senior Member
    IRL you'd keep going, top speed was ~270-280 on the deck with 2 I-16s attached. Fuel was given through by the carrier plane. But in FB the I-16 throttle has no effect, apart from the cooling, so I'd even switch the engine off

what you say about the topping off would make sense in RL...

but i was also afraid of the ingame performance..its none the less cool to detach and fly off from the TB3, as the bomber's engine noises slowly fade away

But also ingame, the maps arent really big enough to actually feel the range difference with or without a TB3 correc? IOW, can the i16 go anywhere on the map w/o the need of the Tb3 (ingame)?

SlickStick's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by Willey:
    IRL you'd keep going, top speed was ~270-280 on the deck with 2 I-16s attached. Fuel was given through by the carrier plane. But in FB the I-16 throttle has no effect, apart from the cooling, so I'd even switch the engine off
    I-16 engines can't be restarted in the air, IIRC? I forget, but anyhow, Last time we messed about with this setup, we had one one each side and would dogfight each other, then detatch, dogfight the I-16s, while the TB3s went at each other.

We had hours of fun when this feature was first introduced.

Esel1964's Avatar Senior Member
    I'll admit,though I've been flying IL-2 since FB was new;I don't experiment near enough to find the hidden "goodies".I had no clue the TB-3 SPB/I-16 hookup was possible.
    I've got 4.04,is the TB-3/I-16 hookup avilable on the standard 4.04,or do I need an add-on?

If it's standard,how do I find it?
    I fell into the habit of flying a couple of planes,and ignoring the rest,I guess I need to 'get around' more.

Oh well,live and learn-that's why I started coming to this forum.

SlickStick's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by Esel1964:
    I'll admit,though I've been flying IL-2 since FB was new;I don't experiment near enough to find the hidden "goodies".I had no clue the TB-3 SPB/I-16 hookup was possible.
    I've got 4.04,is the TB-3/I-16 hookup avilable on the standard 4.04,or do I need an add-on?

If it's standard,how do I find it?
    I fell into the habit of flying a couple of planes,and ignoring the rest,I guess I need to 'get around' more.

Oh well,live and learn-that's why I started coming to this forum.
    Sure, the easy way is just be in an online dogfight map with two friends and with those planes in the list.

1. Assign a key or stick button in Controls to "Attach/Detach Aircraft."

2. Have one person spawn on the ground with the TB3 SPB and two others with the I-16s.

3. Position the TB3 to allow the I-16s to roll under the wings with clearance on the sides (so they don't crash into something getting there).

4. As they are under the brackets on the wings, they hit "Attach/Detach", leaving the engines running. (I also like to take bombs on the I-16s, just to cause more destruction before dogfighting, hehe).

5. The TB3 takes off and flies to destination, where the I-16 pilots then hit "Attach/Detach" when they are ready to release from the momma bird.

Its like watching a discovery channel bird documentary...

Haha, this reminds me of some fun me and JG7_Rall would have. We'd get this kid to come flying with us and either Rall or I would take the TB3 while the other kid would take an I16. We'd hook up the I16's and take off towards some hills or something, and I'd tell the naive kid that his keeping his engine on was having adverse effects on my flight performance, so he shut it off, but Rall kept his on. Then I'd approach a hill in a 45* dive and release the airplanes. Rall would pull up, while the other kid face planted into the side of the hill. Fun stuff.